Swain

Fredrik from Norway   Saturday, February 26, 2005, 02:27 GMT
I have to say it is really charming that English has a special word for "young male country lover". The word is also found in the Scandinavian languages where it can be a male first name as well as the noun "knight's esquire".

Is this typical Alfred Edward Housman word "swain" still a cherished word close to your hearts?
Mxsmanic   Saturday, February 26, 2005, 05:37 GMT
Not in any spoken English I've ever encountered. I'll agree that it's a charming term, but it seems to have no currency these days. "Boyfriend" is probably the most common synonym today.
Brennus   Saturday, February 26, 2005, 07:32 GMT
When I was in 6th grade there was a kid in my class named Dale Svenpladsen whose ancestry was Norwegian. I think the Sven- part of his name is related to the Old English word that you mentioned. There were many Norwegians and Swedes both who settled in the Seattle - Tacoma area where I grew up. Most of them had lived in Minnesota and the Dakotas, however, before coming to Washington State.
Damian   Saturday, February 26, 2005, 08:46 GMT
<<The country there-about could hardly hold the show
His mother's marriage to fair South-hampton drew,
Being wedded to that lord who late her husband slew:
Into his noble breast which pierc'd so wondrous deep,
The (in the poor attire he us'd to tend the sheep,
275 And in his hand his hook) unto the town he went;
As having in his heart a resolute intent
Or manfully to die, or to revenge his wrong:
Where pressing at the gate the multitude among,
The porter at that place his entrance that forbad
(supposing him some swain, some boist'rous country-lad)>>

Drayton's "Hampshire Ode" 1613.

Nowadays the word "swain" in its original sense (the "boisterous country lad" mentioned in the poem) would only be used in a sort of metaphorical way. Now a swain can be an ardent male lover, whether he comes from town or country - makes no difference as long as he cuts the mustard!
Damian   Saturday, February 26, 2005, 08:50 GMT
<<English has a special word>>

<<a cherished word close to your hearts?>>

...the list would be endless!
Fredrik from Norway   Saturday, February 26, 2005, 11:04 GMT
English: swain
Norwegian: sve(i)n
Danish: svend
Fredrik from Norway   Monday, February 28, 2005, 18:25 GMT
Talking about rustic romancy:
I once read a story about a young English nobleman in the 18th century who fell desperately in love with a common girl (daughter of a lock keeper on the Thames or something, I think). He secretely let her enjoy a thorough education in ladylike manners so that she could pass for a true lady in the eyes of his parents (who insisted on him marrying a noble lady). Lived happily ever after.
Anybody who knows any details of this story?
Mxsmanic   Monday, February 28, 2005, 23:52 GMT
Charles and Diana?
Fredrik from Norway   Monday, February 28, 2005, 23:56 GMT
Good try, but "lived happily ever after" I wrote!
Damian   Tuesday, March 01, 2005, 00:10 GMT
<<Lived happily ever after>>>

Sadly, this did not apply in the case of Charles and Diana, Mxsmanic. Besides, Di was hardly of "low born status" in the first place! Anyway, we were casitgated a wee while back for banging on about British Royalty, so I reckon we'd best banish them from this forum ftb at least!

There is a story on that theme, Fredrik, but I cannot bring it to mind....a handsome young nobleman falling for a lowly born beautiful maiden. ...the ultimate fairy tale (if you will pardon the expression).

Apart from the romantic element, there is little lowly Eliza Doolittle who was raised to a ladylike status by Professor Higgins in Shaw's "Pygmalion" (turned into the film "My Fair Lady"). It was great in the film when she forgot her newly acquired position in English High Society. In the excitement of the Ascot Races, once the Gavotte was over and the racing had started, she urged her horse on by yelling in her native Cockney: "Cam on!!!...move ya bloomin' a**e!"
Fredrik from Norway   Wednesday, March 02, 2005, 23:28 GMT
What is the Gavotte?
Deborah   Thursday, March 03, 2005, 03:10 GMT
The Gavotte was a peasant dance that evolved into a popular dance at the French court. The "Ascot Gavotte" is a scene in the musical "My Fair Lady."