WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE BELGIANS?

BabySmurf   Tuesday, March 08, 2005, 23:15 GMT
Smurfs are Belgian
Francophone Comics   Tuesday, March 08, 2005, 23:55 GMT
And so are Spirou et Fantasio, Tintin, Gaston Lagaffe, Soda, Jojo, Papyrus, Billy the Cat, and many more.
Some French Guy   Wednesday, March 09, 2005, 00:33 GMT
Two thumbs up for Tome & Janry, brilliant scenarist and cartoonist.
I'll have a third and fourth thumb grafted to my hands for Franquin & Greg.
!   Wednesday, March 09, 2005, 12:44 GMT
Frederik ,

I'll try to get as much info about it as possible. Just to alarm you : very little is know , so don't be disappointed if I can't provide you with tons of info ...
Sander   Wednesday, March 09, 2005, 14:34 GMT
!,

=>If Limburgish is a language , so why doesn't West-Flemish get that privilage ?
Our language differs more from the standardform than Limburgish does , according to studies at the university of Ghent ... <=

I didnt know Limburgish was a separate language?And ofcourse if it is I want to do a test with you....

-By the way,lets hope that this topic will be just as succesfull as "what do you know about the dutch?" with over 530 messages and still running.I think it has the potential..
greg   Wednesday, March 09, 2005, 16:02 GMT
Sander,

Bruxelles isn't "in the middle of a Flemish-speaking province" since this city's greater area is at a 10-km (or so) distance from Francophone Wallony.

Bruxelles is surrounded by - not included in - a Belgian province called Brabant-Flamand in French, Vlaams Brabant in Flemish and Flemish Brabant in English. Limbourguese Frankish is spoken in the most eastern part of Brabant-Flamand, whereas Brabançon (Brabant) is spoken in the rest of Brabant-Flamand to the most noticeable exception of Bruxelles-Capitale (the province surrounded by Brabant-Flamand but not included in it), the vernacular language of which is French unquestionably.

That said, Bruxelles is also the capital of both French and Flemish communities (a notion different from province).

Here follows a proposal issued by Francophone Belgians to their Flemish fellow citizens regarding the divorce from Belgium solicitated by Flemings :

Pourquoi ne pas proposer à la Flandre de quitter cette Belgique tant honnie ?
De grâce, ne nous positionnons plus seulement par rapport à la dynamique de l'autre, mais bien par rapport à notre propre vision de l'avenir.

La Flandre veut s'en aller, très bien, voici nos conditions :

1) La Flandre devient une république unilingue néerlandophone et la Belgique une monarchie unilingue francophone.

2) La Belgique est constituée des actuelles régions wallonne et bruxelloise ainsi que des actuelles communes à facilités et des quelques communes actuellement flamandes situées sur les axes de circulation reliant Bruxelles à la Wallonie, ainsi que de toute commune limitrophe de la frontière linguistique existante, dont la population présente depuis plus de dix ans aurait majoritairement décidé son rattachement à la Belgique.

3) Les deux pays traitent les minorités linguistiques résidant sur leur sol en vertu des lois et traités internationaux en la matière, et ce notamment en matière de représentation parlementaire et d'emploi des langues dans l'administration.

4) La Flandre doit se choisir une autre capitale et y déménager ses institutions actuellement établies à Bruxelles, les bâtiments concernés étant vendus sur le marché.

5) La Belgique garde ses institutions nationales existantes (ministères, armée, police, SNCB, Poste, BNB, etc.), à charge pour la Flandre de créer les siennes. La Belgique reste seule partie de tout traité ou convention internationale qui la liait précédemment.

6) Les infrastructures (routes, ports, chemins de fer, aéroports, etc. ) sont partagées suivant le droit du sol.

7) Les dettes fédérales et celles des entreprises publiques fédérales sont partagées suivant une clef basée pour moitié sur la population et pour moitié sur le PIB de chaque pays (sur le modèle utilisé pour la participation au capital de la Banque centrale européenne, accepté par les vingt cinq pays membres de l'Union européenne).

8) Les impôts sur le travail et les charges sociales afférentes sont dus dans le pays où la fonction est exercée. Les pensions seront payées par le pays où la fonction est exercée au moment de la mise à la retraite. La TVA est due dans le pays où les ventes finales sont effectuées.

9) La Flandre ne fera éventuellement partie de l'Union européenne et de la zone euro après en avoir fait la demande satisfait aux critères d'admission normaux.

10) La Belgique interdit tout survol de sa capitale et de sa banlieue à moins de 10 000 pieds.

Utopique, tout cela ? Impossible pour les francophones ? Essayez de mesurer le nombre d'emplois récupérés, notamment à Bruxelles en appliquant ces mesures.
Essayez de mesurer le potentiel de développement, notamment en Wallonie, que cette liberté nouvelle nous forcera à conquérir.
Exorbitant pour la Flandre ?
Peut-être, mais la liberté a un prix, et, dans un divorce, il est rare que celui qui s'en va emporte la maison. Wie zegt nu neen?
Sander   Wednesday, March 09, 2005, 16:15 GMT
Greg,

=>Bruxelles isn't "in the middle of a Flemish-speaking province" since this city's greater area is at a 10-km (or so) distance from Francophone Wallony.

Bruxelles is surrounded by - not included in - a Belgian province called Brabant-Flamand in French, Vlaams Brabant in Flemish and Flemish Brabant in English. Limbourguese Frankish is spoken in the most eastern part of Brabant-Flamand, whereas Brabançon (Brabant) is spoken in the rest of Brabant-Flamand to the most noticeable exception of Bruxelles-Capitale (the province surrounded by Brabant-Flamand but not included in it), the vernacular language of which is French unquestionably.

That said, Bruxelles is also the capital of both French and Flemish communities (a notion different from province). <=

I know my belgian geography...Still BRUSSELS (!) lies in a dutch speaking province VLAAMS(!) brabant.Why (according to my oppinion) do people speak more french in BRUSSELS(!) is simple;poor people tend to move to the big citties (mainly the capital) and since the french-speakers are (overall) poor (compared to the flemmings)...see the connexion?!
!   Saturday, March 12, 2005, 19:37 GMT
Well , it's kinda their own fault they are poor ...
Sander   Saturday, March 12, 2005, 20:30 GMT
Really how come ?
!   Saturday, March 12, 2005, 20:48 GMT
The current Walloon economy is relatively diversified, altough certain areas especially in the Borinage, Charleroi and Liège are still facing massive problems, with very high unemployment and low economy innovation. Industrial activity was, and is, concetrated in the key industrial areas of Borinage/Charleroi and Liège. Services are heavily concentrated in the urban areas.Shortly: Walloons rely to much on old industry and 'modernizes' too slow
Jason   Sunday, March 13, 2005, 20:32 GMT
I thought this topic was about Belgians yet everyone keeps yapping about the Dutch !
Travis   Sunday, March 13, 2005, 20:36 GMT
There isn't that much difference between the Flemish (Dutch-speaking Belgians) and the Dutch, really, except that they're in two different state entities, due to the outcome of the Dutch War of Independence, and later the breakup of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands not that long after its creation after the end of the Napoleonic Wars, really.
EchtGoed   Tuesday, March 15, 2005, 19:57 GMT
All I know about Belgians is they speak Dutch and do it beautifully
greg   Tuesday, March 15, 2005, 20:04 GMT
One thing shared by Walloons and Flemings : French... fries.
!   Tuesday, March 15, 2005, 20:22 GMT
Greg , the French in French Fries , doesn't reffer to the country .
It's short for frenched , which means fried in grease ....