Ravenous hungry.

rich7   Monday, March 21, 2005, 05:32 GMT
Isn't it redundant? I heard it on tv actually in a BBC programme.
Julian   Monday, March 21, 2005, 06:31 GMT
"ravenous hungry" or "ravenously hungry"?

Either way, yes, it is redundant. But the speaker was using "ravenous(ly)" as a modifying adverb to exaggerate his/her hungry condition. I guess you can classify this figure of speech as a hyperbolism or an overstatement, which is perfectly acceptable in informal English, IMHO.
rich7   Monday, March 21, 2005, 09:54 GMT
Very well understood a million thanks.
D   Monday, March 21, 2005, 11:51 GMT
There is no redundance in `ravenously hungry.' On one hand, you could be hungry without being ravenous. On the other hand, ravenous does not mean ``hungry'' -- look it up. Julian, can you explain what you
think the redundance is?
Julian   Monday, March 21, 2005, 18:02 GMT
Okay. I looked it up:

ravenous - adj. 1. Extremely hungry; voracious. 2. Rapacious; predatory.
3. Greedy for gratification: ravenous for power.

ravenously - adv. in the manner of someone who is very hungry

If we take the first part of definition #1, and put that in place of "ravenous" in "ravenous hungry", you end up with "extremely hungry hungry". Hence, the redundancy.
Damian   Monday, March 21, 2005, 19:34 GMT
"Ravenously hungry" is not something most ordinary people would say, certainly not here in Scotland. It sounds affected really. Most people say "I'm starving" when they need a bite or two...of course they're not starving in the literal sense. Here we use the word "hungert" meaning hungry for food. If anyone looks as if they could do with a meal we say "you look fair shilpit".
D   Monday, March 21, 2005, 20:01 GMT
Both the m-w and OED online give 'rapacious' as the first definition of ravenous. There is a difference between being 'ravenous' and
being 'ravenously hungry' just like there is a difference between being pitiful and being pitifully hungry. Wild animals are routinely described as
'ravenous' whether they are hungry or not. So I don't buy the
line that 'ravenously hungry' is redundant.
Ed   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 02:27 GMT
Doesn't ravenous come from raven?
Bob   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 04:03 GMT
No.

ravenous - 1412, from Old French ravinos "rapacious, violent", from raviner "to take by force", from Vulgar Latin rapinare, from Latin rapina, "plunder". Meaning "voracious, very hungry" is from c.1430.

raven - from Old English hræfn
Ed   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 18:14 GMT
oh...lol But it still makes sense, no? The raven is a scary bird.
rich7   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 19:51 GMT
In conclusion, can I say "ravenous hungry" ? or should I use the adverb better?
Gabe   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 00:58 GMT
"Ravenous hungry" comes across as grammatical to me, if a bit awkward. So you *could* say it, I suppose, but I would go with "I'm starving" instead. At least, that's what's common around here (California or Boston, Massachusetts -- which are on opposite sides of the US, but are the only places I've lived).
D   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 01:29 GMT
Since you need an adverb to modify an adjective, the correct phrase is certainly 'ravenously hungry.' I'm sorry that Damian and I didn't address that. To be redundant: 'ravenous hungry' is incorrect.
rich7   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 02:09 GMT
Very well then, there is a couple more for you to make it clear.

"Up above and down below", I have heard these two a lot but I have never seen them in written English.
D   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 02:55 GMT
Both 'up above' and 'down below' are unexceptional phrases, in AE at least.