Help me with this idiom!

Francisco   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 00:32 GMT
Dear all,

I'd like to see whether anybody can tell me what the following idiom means:
"Here, here! There's none so queer as folk."

I've already checked all the idiom dictionaries I was able to get hold of, but this seems to be nowhere.

Thanks,

Frank
Josh   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 00:46 GMT
It means that there's nothing so strange as family (kinfolk). So true!
Ed   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 04:30 GMT
There is (or used to be) a reality show called Queer as Folk.
Bill   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 06:24 GMT
Not a reality show. It's a fictional series that still airs on Showtime (the American version, that is.)
DJW   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 11:43 GMT
No, it does not mean that nothing so strange as family!! It is a Northern English expression. You quoted it wrong. It is: there's nowt so queer as folk. Nowt means naught, or nothing, but it is pronounced nowt in this sentence. Folk means people - not family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It means people can be very strange - nothing stranger when you get to know them!!!
Euro_boy   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 13:46 GMT

DJW,

"You quoted it wrong"????

or "You quoted it wrongly"?

To my opinion it should be an adverb there, not an adjective....
DJW   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 16:59 GMT
I believe that right and wrong can be adverbs. Now if I had said "quoted it incorrect" you would be right.
euro_boy   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 17:53 GMT
DJW,

Incorrect and wrong should work the same way.
DJW   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 21:48 GMT
No. Go to yourdictionary.com at http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/w/w0242500.html and you will see that wrong is an adverb, as well as an adjective (and a noun).
Ed   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 22:59 GMT
<<Not a reality show. It's a fictional series that still airs on Showtime (the American version, that is.) >>

I've never seen it, so thanks for the correction.
Damian   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 23:09 GMT
DJW is quite right.....it is a Northern English expression, and it's true. "There's nowt so queer as folk!" "There is nothing as strange as people".

People are folk generally, and folk are generally queer, not in the sense of being "benders" though! More in the sense of being unpredictable in their actions, attitudes and behaviour. That more or less takes in the entire human race. We are all folk and we are all queer, which makes life fun.

To be "normal" must be some kind of living death, to be honest!

:-)