American English colloquial slang?

wwwdotcom   Thursday, March 31, 2005, 21:53 GMT
American English colloquial slang?

According to the Bible, the World's huge variety of languages began at the Tower of Babel. There may be as many as 9,000 languages and dialects in use. At least another 1,000 languages, such as ancient Egyptian, Latin,etc are known, but no longer used.

American English has developed its own distinctive accent and vocabulary.

I don't see why American English is seen as so bad. It's an evolved version of English that has existed separately on a different continent for hundreds of years, so why should it be seen as inferior?

Why people prefer British English Accent? Why Americans like British accent?

Why Europeans don’t like Americans and their accent?
american nic   Thursday, March 31, 2005, 22:02 GMT
Because they are in denial of their own language's inferiority... :)
Travis   Thursday, March 31, 2005, 22:09 GMT
/me either blinks or winks at american nic. (I'm going to be going on in this post as if you hadn't written the smilie at the end of your post, just because I like ranting about this subject ;)

Anyways, sure, yeah, like our set of dialects is somehow inferior to those spoken in England... Anyways, at least from my perspective here, how the English speak is effectively irrelevant as a whole to how English is spoken here. What also must be remembered is that English English dialects vary internally from each other, and North American En glish dialect very from each other, more than Received Pronunciation and formal Northern Inland American English vary from each other. Hence, one cannot view English English and North American English as monolithic blocs unto themselves, and thus cannot view them together as single constructs in any fashion, and thus one cannot /judge/ them in any fashion as single wholes, if one can judge them in the first place.
Some French Guy   Thursday, March 31, 2005, 22:21 GMT
Allow me at least to judge Dubya's accent as very unpleasant. :)
american nic   Thursday, March 31, 2005, 22:27 GMT
Most American would agree with you.
Travis   Thursday, March 31, 2005, 22:51 GMT
I'm not the biggest fan of mein Führer's speech patterns overall, but probably my least favorite American speech form is Valley Girl-speech, overall, which is infinitely more irritating than George W. Bush's speech, which just sounds dumb, and not because of the dialect used itself.
Lemme get slangy   Friday, April 01, 2005, 00:59 GMT
Dude - there are lot a peeps sayin a lot of things man... Lemme drop it to you like this.

Hope everyone knows how to use this camera to max it's greatest potential - or at the very least they can read the manual.I am very pleased with this cam yo.
mjd   Friday, April 01, 2005, 01:03 GMT
Nice try there, Lemme Get Slangy, but I think you need to brush up on your American slang.
Travis   Friday, April 01, 2005, 01:19 GMT
Yeah, I've never heard anyone speak like that around here at all in any kind of normal fashion (I mean informal speech here) whatsoever. Well I might've heard some people say something sort of like that when trying to (badly, I must say) emulate African American Vernacular English (I'll just use the term AAVE from now on, as that's horribly verbose) at some point or another, but again, that's not how people here in Wisconsin normally speak in general, actual AAVE usage (which is another story from that) in the inner city area of Milwaukee aside.
american nic   Friday, April 01, 2005, 01:22 GMT
Even people who speak like 'that' don't do it that way. They can actually pull it off.
JJM   Friday, April 01, 2005, 06:58 GMT
Actually, I think the general global tendency right now is more and more towards learning AE rather than BE. A good benchmark for this is India, which has traditionally been VERY conservative about English. I'm hearing more and more Indians speaking "Americanized" English. Something to do with the world of IT I'd guess!

Speaking purely subjectively, as a Canadian leaving in the UK, I find a number of British dialects and accents to be absolutely grating on my ears.
wwwdotcom   Friday, April 01, 2005, 16:39 GMT
Then why Americans like the British accent?
I just don't get it!
Klaus   Saturday, April 02, 2005, 05:48 GMT
Well to me and this is just my own opinion, British accent's make people sound alot smarter than they really are. In some videogames and movies there is usually a smarter person who had some type of accent and a generic stupid American person who accompany's him/her.

A example would be in the game Metal Gear Solid as I can't think of any other example at the moments. Liquid Snake (the nutty and quite insane antagonist) sounds quite charming and exudes a particular charisma to him while Solid Snake (the gruff protagonist) sounds like he's just tired and lazy.

In conclusion,

American accents
"I think we new some new ideas." = "Blah, blah, blah" to some American's.

British and or otherwise.
"Hey, would you loan me 200 bucks" = sure thing buddy, here ya go.

...what a strange post.
Travis   Saturday, April 02, 2005, 05:59 GMT
Well, part of that is likely that the primary sort of English English that most Americans are acquainted with is Received Pronunciation, the speaking of which implies that someone is part of the British upper class, that someone went to a school like Oxford or Cambridge or whatnot, or if someone isn't British, that they're a foreign individual who was educated in the UK (which of course would be a small minority of individuals in where they happen to be originally from). Hence the speaking of specifically RP is likely to imply to people who are not from the UK that someone is either upper class or highly educated (especially if they're not British natively) or both, whether or not they're originally from the UK, and hence it's likely to be interpreted in the aforementioned manner by many Americans.
Klaus   Saturday, April 02, 2005, 06:05 GMT
That's exactly what I meant, I just didn't know how to explain it in a better choice of words.