the valley girls

Ed   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:12 GMT
http://www.z100.com/elvis_zoo/songparodies.html

You'll see song numer 3 is Jersey Girl! rotflol
Ed   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:14 GMT
Unfortunately, it's not the full version! Damn!
Joanne   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:16 GMT
Jersey Girl, huh? lol! Well, I don't wear white nail polish, my boyfriend doesn't drive an I-ROC, and I can pump my own gas, thank you very much...although, why anyone would want to when there's Full Service, is beyond me...
Joanne   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:23 GMT
Oh God, I heard this parody before, I didn't know what it was called though! LOL My favorite one of theirs is "Chanukah is Hot" I recorded it and listened to it all through the holidays!
Ed   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:24 GMT
No mention for hairspray, sweatpants, etc...lol
Joanne   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:32 GMT
I prefer "tracksuit," thank you. And I always raise my little finger when I press down on the hairspray nozzle.

I have standards, you know.

:D
Ed   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:34 GMT
LOL And I'm sure you do that while you're at the spectacular Jersey shore diving in the sea of industrial garbage
Travis   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:41 GMT
Well, at least in this part of Wisconsin (southern Wisconsin), we don't have the portion of Canadian Raising which applies to /aU/, which would apply to the words "house" and "about"; if there's anything unusual about how those are pronounced here, it's that "house" tends to lose the initial /h/ in many contexts, for whatever reason, in informal speech, and also that the intial /@/ in "about" tends to get clipped off often in informal speech as well. We only have the portion of Canadian Raising that applies to /aI/, hence why "writer" and "rider" don't have the same vowel in its first syllable. And yes, we've got lots of little idiosyncrasies that make the pronunciation, even in formal speech, vary from "Standard American English", and things vary only moreso from it in informal speech, overall. "Standard American English" actually sounds rather weird to my ears, from some samples of speech that I've heard which were supposedly in it, simply because I'm *not* used to hearing what's "supposed to" be it, and tend to rather view formal speech in this area, that is, still with an accent from here, as being "standard" from a formal perspective.
Joanne   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:42 GMT
... and getting stuck in the ass by discarded syringes...losing spectacular amounts of money at AC.... getting breast cancer while driving on the NJ Turnpike...

I love this weird biohazard of a state.
Ed   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:43 GMT
Ewwww, Joanne! You totally ruined the joke. Now instead of laughing, I'm gonna cry for all of those 8 million poor souls living in Jersey...lol
Travis   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:45 GMT
I myself wonder whether the New Jersy Turnpike is really like how it is described in the book Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson... but then, I doubt that the Los Angeles area is really like the dystopian neofeudal netherworld which it is depicted as in that book, either. It's still a really good book, though, one way or another.
Travis   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:47 GMT
Ack, that is supposed to be "New Jersey", with *three*, not *two*, "e"s. (I should proofread my posts more, as it seems like I've had to correct them a lot retroactively as of late...)
Joanne   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:47 GMT
If I continue to live here, I might even grow a pair (or three) before I depart this cruel world.
Deborah   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:50 GMT
We should discuss the accent in places like Hartford, Conne-ne-ne-ne-ne-ne-necticut. (You have to listen to "Jersey Girl" to get this.)

I don't know about Queens, but when I lived in NY, one of my coworkers was from the Bronx. One day when her friend didn't show up for work, the boss asked her, "Where's Dawn today?" She replied, "Who?" The boss (originally from the West Coast) had to repeat it several times and finally say, "Your best friend" before she recognized the name and said, "Oh, you mean Doo-wan!"
Ed   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:50 GMT
A pair of what?