Portuguese and Spanish are the closest Romance languages

Ana   Monday, April 18, 2005, 21:34 GMT
"Me racist ? I'm sorry, but I'm not "completly white" myself (I have a mulato mother from French west indies)"
Well, bernard, you could be mulato and racist as well..agains indians, scandinavians or whoever. Being a mulato is not the cure. Anyway ill take your word of not being racist as say so.

"You cannot deny that most peruanos doesn't look like most native spanish (that doesn't mean that one is superior to the other... I never said such a thing!)"
You said that you understood that they were more like a foreigner to me, just for biological reasons, so thats why it sounded like a racist coment (although you didnt mean it).When i said that "they are foreigners to me" i was considering other aspects different from mere biological features. Which, on the other hand, not all of them share. As i said we have links as well, but in our case, secundary to the ones we have with europeans. But all thats already said...
Ana   Monday, April 18, 2005, 21:36 GMT
"with europeans"=with other european
Ana   Monday, April 18, 2005, 21:37 GMT
"as say so"= as you say so
bernard   Monday, April 18, 2005, 21:47 GMT
Well, bernard, you could be mulato and racist as well..agains indians, scandinavians or whoever...

your comment is absolutly ridiculous... I learn tonight I was racist against scandinavians and indians !... I didn't know that !.... I don't know who you are to say that I am racist against indians. I love as much native indian cultures and people as well as I love spanish culture and peoples...
Huchu   Monday, April 18, 2005, 21:51 GMT
4Huchu wrote:
"It must hurt Portuguese people but 80 % of Portuguese-language speakers use the language in the Brazilian way"

The world is not so easy as you may want it to be. No, no. Do you believe you can so easily hurt a people and a country which has survived so many vicissitudes throughout the centuries in order to assure their place, though humble and small, until nowadays? Mind you modern portuguese citizens do not have such a backward national pride.
Ana   Monday, April 18, 2005, 21:52 GMT
lol
you could or you might be or it could happen that you are..etc
i never meant that you ARE
Please english native speakers, we need a little help here ...:-)
well, have a good night..
Ana   Monday, April 18, 2005, 21:55 GMT
"english native speakers"=> native english speakers
JGreco   Monday, April 18, 2005, 23:34 GMT
>>Ana<<

Your English isn't bad at all. There are a very few minor errors in your writings. Even I have problems and I emigrated to the United States with my family at a very young age and I was schooled all in English. Trust your instincts and good job.

>> as for the forum<<

Maybe Ana has a point with her understanding more Italian than Brazilian Portuguese. Maybe Latin Americans understand Brazilians more because the dialects of Spanish spoken are closer to Brazilian then almost even European Portuguese. As I said in another post I read in an article that Caribbean Spanish which includes Panamanian Spanish and other dialects ( Cuban, Dominican Spanish. Puerto Rican Spanish, and Coastal regions of Colombia, Venezuela along the Caribbean) is heavily influenced by Canary Islands Spanish because of the mass migration of Canary Islanders throughout the centuries. Canary Islands Spanish is heavily influenced by portuguese which in turn influenced the major varieties.

This is my opinion what does evreybody else think?
mjd   Monday, April 18, 2005, 23:51 GMT
I think Latin American Spanish speakers can more easily understand Brazilian Portuguese because it doesn't clip unstressed vowels, as occurs in Lusitanian Portuguese. It thus seems "clearer" to those who are unfamiliar with Portuguese pronunciation.

For the record, Portuguese is my second language and I have to confess that I really don't understand spoken Spanish all too well. Naturally, this varies from dialect to dialect, but I think it has to do with the fact that Portuguese is my second language (English being my first) and that I'm so accustomed to the sounds of Portuguese.
JGreco   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 00:10 GMT
As I have said before I am of Brazilian and Panamanian decent. If you do some reading and see the variety of Latin American Spanish there is out there you will notice how some dialects can sound a little closer to the brazilian variety of Portuguese. Even in europe the portuguese in Europe varies greatly North to South. I once found a web site that had recordings from different areas of Portugal and its island holdings (Madeira, Azores). I noticed that the Northern variety of Portuguese I guess the closest to Galician I could almost completely understand. I could also understand Minha do Ouro Portuguese variant. But I noticed the farther South you go, the worse it was for me to understand. I coudn't really understand the variant around Lisboa and I completely could not understand Algarvan and Medeiran. They almost sounded like Russian to my ears. I guess I understand why the Brazilians dub the Portuguese programs comming from Europe into Brazilian now that I saw that site and heard the variety. I can't remeber what variety of Portuguese you speak Mjd? By the way, most Brazilians do understand a great deal of Spoken Latin American Spanish (Th is includes my family members).

P.S I wish I could find that site again with the varieties of Portuguese spoken throughout Portugal. I was at a friends house when I happened to stumble upon it. I thought it was on the Camoes institute web site but I looked on there and I could not find it. If anybody has any idea please inform me.
Jacyra   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 00:31 GMT
Algarve Portuguese (Southern Portugal):

http://www.instituto-camoes.pt/cvc/hlp/geografia/som44.html

Azors Portuguese:

http://www.instituto-camoes.pt/cvc/hlp/geografia/som69.html

Lisbon Portuguese (Standard Continental Portuguese)

http://www.instituto-camoes.pt/cvc/hlp/geografia/som22.html

All these dialects I find very difficult to understand.
I'm from Cuiabá, Brasil.
Jacyra   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 00:37 GMT
JGreco   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 03:52 GMT
Muito obrigado senhor/a.
JGreco   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 03:54 GMT
I'm sorry I forgot that we in this forum write in English.
My familia in Brasil is from Belo Horizonte, Iguacu, and there are some who live in Rio. I love Rio on New years Eve. I like Carnaval, but I like that New Years is not as rowdy as Carnival.
Tiffany   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 05:04 GMT
I think Ana meant the general statement that "Anyone can be mulatto and still be racist" although I see how it could be taken as accusatory in English. I thought it was when I first read it, but I don't think she meant it that way.