either

american nic   Monday, April 25, 2005, 23:38 GMT
I'm curious where this word is pronounced how. I say 'ee-ther', but many people say 'i-ther'...how do you say it (and where are you from)?
mjd   Monday, April 25, 2005, 23:46 GMT
I say "ee-thur", but you'll hear both pronunciations in the U.S. fairly often.
Lazar   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 00:03 GMT
I say eye-ther (central Massachusetts).
andre in usa   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 00:09 GMT
I say "ee-thur" (SE Penna).
Travis   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 00:19 GMT
I say "ee-ther", that is, /"iDr=/ --> ["i.D@`]. For the record, I'm from southeastern Wisconsin.
Frances   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 00:26 GMT
I use both, I have no consistency
Mark   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 00:43 GMT
I also say "ee-ther". I live in Portland, Oregon and both pronunciations are common here. I have, however, noticed a shift among young people from "ee-ther" to "eye-ther", but don't know why. Perhaps it is due to media influence.
Lazar   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 01:43 GMT
<<I have, however, noticed a shift among young people from "ee-ther" to "eye-ther", but don't know why.>>

That may correspond to pronouncing the T in "often" and to using British spellings like "dialogue", "theatre", and "cancellation", both of which are becoming more prevalent these days.
Kirk   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 02:04 GMT
I'm from California and say "eether" and "neether" (so [iD@`] and [niD@`]) exclusively, altho I do hear some people use [aID@'] and [naiD@`], either interchangeably with the other forms or (less commonly) exclusively. I would say the majority of America says [i] instead of [aI], but [aI] is certainly not unheard of.
Jim   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 02:35 GMT
When I read the title of the thread "eether" (i.e. /i:D@/) went through my head but I think I might say "ighther" (i.e. /AeD@/) sometimes too. I guess I say either & really have a preference for neither ... maybe.
Gabe   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 02:41 GMT
Definitely "eether" for me.
Tiffany   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 04:36 GMT
I use both - like Frances, I have no consistency. I'm from Miami, Florida.
Joel   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 05:15 GMT
<'m curious where this word is pronounced how. I say 'ee-ther', but many people say 'i-ther'...how do you say it (and where are you from)?>

I think it is a generation thing usually the young one use 'i-ther' while my parents and grandparents use 'ee-ther' used in New Zealand. You will even hear both examples with the 'r' dropped. It sounds more like 'i-the' and 'e-the' it is used in some northern parts of New Zealand.

As Im from the north I would say the examples with the 'r' dropped thought I would say 'i-ther' and 'ee-ther' if I was speaking to a southern New Zealander or my parents.
Joel   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 05:16 GMT
NZer Southerns hate how progressive with our pronucation we Northerns have. Boo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!
Adam   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 16:53 GMT
Well, it's either one either, or the other either.