Studying Latin but not understanding Romance Languages

Huchu   Wednesday, May 11, 2005, 12:36 GMT

>>…” White = Fr <blanc>, Sp <blanco> and It <bianco> vs Latin <albus>” in Romanian is albu>>

There is also an equivalent of "albu" or "albus" in the west romance languages, which also means white: alvo (Portuguese), albo (Castilian Spanish), etc. However in Castilian Spanish you use the word "albo" only in special cases, e.g in poetry or to mean something white and pure. You also have albino in Italian, Castilian, Portuguese, etc.
laszlo   Wednesday, May 11, 2005, 13:41 GMT
Anezka,

Classical Latin will never open doors for you in any Western Romance language. It will only help you in learning Romanian and some minor eastern Romance like Sardinian and maybe Sicilian.

I think studding classical Latin and speaking a Slavic language it’s just the perfect formula in learning Romanian,(my wife is Romanian) a language surprisingly based on archaic and classical Latin with many Slavic words, rather than Spanish a more distant Western Romance. Ironically you are already understanding Romanian with very little effort .Learning Spanish or Italian can be difficult as being mostly Latin Vulgaris and without any Slavic words!

I found a closed topic in the archives,about Romance languages and their Latin origin,

http://antimoon.com/forum/posts/7132-2.htm

***laszlo from Hungary
greg   Wednesday, May 11, 2005, 14:23 GMT
La <albus>.

Fr <albatros> (17th century neologism and Iberain loanword made after popular etymology)
Fr <albâtre> = En <alabaster>
Fr <Albion>
Fr <aube> = En <dawn>
Fr <aubade> = En <dawn serenade>
Fr <albinos> = En <albino>
Fr <albe> = En <white, clear, limpid> (poetry) or En <white wood>.