Why don't British singers sing with a British accent?

JJM   Friday, May 13, 2005, 08:49 GMT
"Why don't British singers sing with a British accent?"

1. Who cares?!

2. I like Dido.

3. Michael Bublé is Canadian.
Adam   Friday, May 13, 2005, 09:21 GMT
Most British bands I know sing or used to singwith a British accent.

Coldplay. Radiohead. The Beatles. Blur. Franz Ferdinand. The Coral. And you will NEVER see Oasis, pioneers of Britpop, singing with American accents.
Alice   Friday, May 13, 2005, 09:29 GMT
British singer at this years Eurovison song contest (Javine) is using the American accent in her song TOUCH MY BODY.

It seems majority of British dance, trance, soul & pop groups prefer the American accent. I don't think Dido uses British accent, she uses a Mid-atlantic accent of ancient American movies :p The only pop artist that uses RP is Sofie Alice Baxtor. She sounds cold and snobbish with this accent, I think American accent would bring some warmth in her songs.

Sugababes, Kelly Llorenna, so American :p
Ted   Friday, May 13, 2005, 09:34 GMT
"3. Michael Bublé is Canadian."

Yes but his singing accent isn't Canadian. Do you think he sings in the same accent that he speaks with?
Alice   Friday, May 13, 2005, 09:36 GMT
touch my fire and not

touch my body

sorry :)

but pretty close

please vote for this Beyoncé-wannabe
Alice   Friday, May 13, 2005, 09:37 GMT
Well, accent of Pet shop Boys and Erasure is more American than British. I think it's Mid-Atlantic :)
Musician   Friday, May 13, 2005, 10:23 GMT
Alice-"It seems majority of British dance, trance, soul & pop groups prefer the American accent"

Don't forget the famous DEPECHE MODE the masters of electronic music who influenced at least 30 bands and many styles .The synthesized-pop world leader sung an still sing with British accent !

Depeche Mode in electronic pop music is like Elvis in rock...
muster   Friday, May 13, 2005, 10:32 GMT
aside from bart simpson, the chipmunks are known for their infamous high pitch vocals mixed with aus-american accent that would cause glass to break.
JJM   Friday, May 13, 2005, 13:11 GMT
Alice:

Warmth? Sofie Alice Bextor? I think you're actually missing the point of her kind of music...

Ted:

There's no doubt Michael Bublé's singing voice is entirely influenced by the types of songs in his repertoire. But it's actually difficult to say whether Canadian singers even need to consciously emulate an American accent. Unless they're from the Maritimes, their "singing accent" will generally pass for American to most people anyway. Case in point: Diane Krall (Vancouver).

(I'm Canadian)
Ted   Friday, May 13, 2005, 14:18 GMT
"But it's actually difficult to say whether Canadian singers even need to consciously emulate an American accent."

That's what I think is the case for most non-American singers, let alone Canadian ones, though I take your point it's probably easier for Canadians. But Avril Lavigne consciously sings in her native Canadian accent and it is noticeable. Sorry I'm not very familiar with Diane Krall.
Damian   Friday, May 13, 2005, 14:30 GMT
No way.. no way.. no way ...ever... would Franz Ferdinand use an American accent...they're guys from Scotland ffs :-) no honestly though they just don't do the American thing. Lots of Brit singers do though....simple reason...it's cool to do so..it's all commercial stuff...that's the way the market operates. No way do they SPEAK American though.
Ted   Friday, May 13, 2005, 14:48 GMT
I don't know about that Damian. I find that the accent of lead singer of Franz Ferdinand is contrastive between his singing and talking. What about Garbage? I hear the Scottish traces but the American thing is there. Isn't the singer of the Stone Roses Scottish?

"No way do they SPEAK American though."
That makes me think of Sting. You might think he was American just by the way he sings, if you'd never heard him speak.
Ted   Friday, May 13, 2005, 14:56 GMT
It's immensely obvious when a Brit consciously sings Brit... think of the group Streets. The guy clearly sings the way he speaks on the streets.
Ben   Friday, May 13, 2005, 15:24 GMT
It really depends upon what genre of music the singer is appropriating. For example, Mick Jagger usually sings like a black American Southerner because his music is often heavily influence by the Blues. But ever hear the Rolling Stones' britpop anthem "Ruby Tuesday?" Suddenly Mick sounds very British. Same with the Beatles--"Roll Over Beethoven?" Sounds like Yanks. "Norwegian Wood?" Liverpudlian.

Certainly the British punk/new-wave bands of 70's and 80's featured singers with thick British accents, since that was a very British form of music (the one exeption to this was Joy Division's Ian Curtis, who often adopted a bizarre, American-sounding accent when he sang).

I'm wondering what American bands try to sound British?
George   Friday, May 13, 2005, 15:57 GMT
<<I'm wondering what American bands try to sound British? >>

The Ramones, Green Day... Spinal Tap