Most annoying mispronunciation

Sander   Friday, May 20, 2005, 18:21 GMT
I hate the way how some Dutch people pronounce english,

Lijk dis,joe sie?deej pronouns de ingliesch wurds lijk de dutsj wonnes.
andre in south africa   Friday, May 20, 2005, 18:26 GMT
hehe that's how some Afrikaans people pronounce English too Sander ;) it's horrible!
Kess   Friday, May 20, 2005, 19:00 GMT
The most annoying mispronunciations:

LICE instead of LIES [lize]
ICE instead of EYES [ize]
Most foreign speakers of English never master the basic rule of -s sounding.
Deborah   Friday, May 20, 2005, 19:09 GMT
Nucular.

There's a Russian mispronunciation that bothers me: in Russian, an unstressed "o" is pronounced like an unstressed "a". This rule tends to carry over into the way many Russians pronounce foreign languages. Funnily enough, it doesn't bother me to hear English pronounced this way, but there are a lot of Spanish place names in California, and it does bother me to hear the "o" in Spanish pronounced like an "a".

For instance, there's a town south of San Francisco (or "San Francisca") called "Palo Alto," which a Russian friend of mine calls "Palalta".

(Of course, Spanish names in California are regularly mispronounced by English speaking people, but for some reason that "a" to "o" change annoys me, probably Russian does have an "o" sound -- which actually sounds like the Spanish "o", unlike the American "o". But it does take work to get out of pronunciation habits.)
Travis   Friday, May 20, 2005, 19:11 GMT
Kess, well, the thing is that English (and probably also Scots, even though I really can't say heere) is/are the only West Germanic language(s) that don't fully devoice word-final consonants, which of course is a problem for German, Dutch, Afrikaans, Low Saxon, West/East/North Frisian, and West Flemish-speakers who are learning English.
Sander   Friday, May 20, 2005, 19:21 GMT
I think Frisian doesnt devoice word-final consonants as well,but Im not sure...
Travis   Friday, May 20, 2005, 22:03 GMT
Yeah, I might be wrong about the Frisian languages, as unfortunately I don't have enough info on the details of the Frisian languages (of course, the one that the most information is available on is West Frisian).
Deborah   Friday, May 20, 2005, 22:56 GMT
From my last post, several posts above:

probably Russian does have an "o" sound --> probably because Russian does have an "o" sound
Frances   Saturday, May 21, 2005, 00:19 GMT
vitamins with with a non-vowel i and occurrence where u sounds like in current
Frances   Saturday, May 21, 2005, 00:21 GMT
Actually they aren't mispronunciations, they just sound annoying to my ear.
KAZ   Saturday, May 21, 2005, 14:23 GMT
Why does Mr. Bush say NUCLEAR in a different way? Is that a regional accent? I cannot even describe how he says it. Nukyuler?
Lazar   Saturday, May 21, 2005, 15:13 GMT
Deborah:

Sorry, I was just looking at the phonetic transcriptions. I didn't listen to the recordings. :-(
Snipsa   Saturday, May 21, 2005, 15:50 GMT
A mispronunciation that I hate is when people say care for car..
Yip it happens - But then I must say I have only really heard it from people in the Cape area - and well they do pronounce words quite weird when they want to.

Nothing against anyone from that area! I love most Capies - it's just that one pronounciation I really hate.

Oh as for misspellings - I have never been very good at spelling - So if you see any spelling mistakes in my posts - Let me know that I can work on it please!
Cro Magnon   Saturday, May 21, 2005, 16:03 GMT
One of my peeves is when someone pronounces my state as "Missoura".
posts   Saturday, May 21, 2005, 19:42 GMT
Your a liar, Snipsa. I saw no mispellings in your post above - unless you want count 'Yip' in place of 'Yep'. :)

Using 'then' in place of 'than' and vice versa.
Example: I like the 'aboat' pronunciation of 'about' more THEN the 'abowt' one.