American twang

Kirk   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 01:11 GMT
Linguistics doesn't usually use words like "twang" because such descriptions are vague to begin with (even tho supposedly defined by the dictionary, the idea of a "twang" obviously varies), and is a very subjective statement, which linguistics avoids, preferring scientific explanations.

I learned in my phonetics class that one of the most common popular descriptions worldwide (for any language) of how other people talk is that they "talk out their nose" or that they talk "nasal." Of course, in some cases certain dialects or varieties actually have more marked nasality (tho all human languages use the nasal cavities for certain sounds, so calling another variety something like "nasal" is somewhat of a misnomer), but even when that technically isn't the case, popular perceptions are that other dialects "speak with their noses." Pretty interesting.

But, removing my linguist cap, in common (non-linguists) usage in America I've heard the word "twang" applied mostly to southern dialects, but it's still vague--no one could really tell you exactly what they think makes a twang but they can imitate what they *think* is twangy (further proving the subjectiveness of the whole topic). Some people spread the definition of "twang" to any more exotic-sounding dialect, and I've even heard people here talk about a "British twang" or a "French twang" (this was referring to a non-Parisian dialect of French). Maybe for some people "twang" just refers to a dialect they don't speak or are not entirely familiar with, or is somehow perceived as "non-standard."

In any case, as I said before the idea of a "twang" is vague and too subjective to be used in a serious linguistic analysis, altho in popular usage it's relatively harmless (but not likely to be based on any actual linguistic fact).
Deborah   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 01:14 GMT
Thanks, Kirk. I also noticed the reference to "British twang." I get the idea that people use it derogatorily.
Kirk   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 01:27 GMT
<<Thanks, Kirk. I also noticed the reference to "British twang." I get the idea that people use it derogatorily.>>

Yeah, I agree it generally has a derogatory tone, unless it's being used in a cutesy sense--"oh, she has the cuuuutest southern twang...I LOVE it, I just wanna HUG her everytime she opens her mouth"--and even then you could argue that kind of statement could be demonstrating a slightly patronizing or condescending tone, implying that "she doesn't know how to speak properly/standard/correctly, but it's ok because I think it's innocent/cute/sweet anyway."
Bill H.   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 02:23 GMT

When I think of "twang" I see Texas and Oklahoma and country music types. The southern accents(Georgia,LA,etc.) don`t seem as twangy to me as they do draaawn out and exagerated,like they are stretching the vowels "Hey booooyyyy". When people speak with these accents out of their regions,they are often perceived as dull,slow,or looked down upon as "oakies", "rednecks", "white trash", "inbreds", and/or "hillbillies". Not so much now as 20-30 years ago,but people are still judged by their accents and speech patterns.
Deborah   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 02:41 GMT
Since I read Frances's comments, I've been experimenting with talking in my own accent, but nasally, and imitating various diphthongized Southern accents, with and without nasality. Non-nasal, diphthongized speech definitely doesn't fit my image of a twang, but I realized that nasality alone also doesn't qualify as a twang. However, the two together definitely produce a twang. Most of the American accents I've heard that I'd describe as having a twang are from the country's midsection. I also think of it as being a "country" sound. My grandmother definitely had a twang. My mother definitely doesn't have a a twang, since she worked very hard to get rid of it when her family moved from Texas to California when she was 10.
Ed   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 04:10 GMT
I've heard of the term Southern twang, but not American twang.
Ben   Monday, May 30, 2005, 04:55 GMT
I usually define "twang" by the lengthening of the dipthongs in "here" and "door," usually to /hi:@(r)/ and /do:@(r)/, respectively (compared to the more standard /hI@(r)/ and /DO@(r)/).

The following dialects have been described as "twangy:"

American Southern
Maine
Northern Irish
Australian/New Zealand
West Country

... and all of them feature "door" or "here" lengthening in some speakers.
andre in usa   Monday, May 30, 2005, 16:57 GMT
I've wondered about the word "twang" too, Deborah, and I've noticed that when foreigners speak of the "American twang," they are talking about nasality, but when Americans talk about "twang" they're either using it to describe the Southern U.S. accent or they're using it as a synonym for "accent," but it's usually a country accent.

I agree with Someone, most American accents are nasal, and the nasality is strongest in Northern varieties.