why american breakfast?

Kirk   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 00:57 GMT
Oh ok, New Brunswick? Wow, that's one of the furthest places you can get from San Diego on this continent...I'd love to get up there to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia someday, tho. If I'm not mistaken, your time zone is 4 hours ahead of Pacific Time, and an hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time...so in terms of time zones you're halfway to Greenwich from California.

<<Head Cheese, if you didn't know, is the meat taken off the cheeks of the pig and made into a kind of paste of pate.>>

Oh ok, interesting. I hadn't heard of head cheese before.
Kazoo   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 01:07 GMT
Yeah, it's a shorter flight to Dublin, then it is to Vancouver for us. I don't actually live in New Brunswick anymore, I live in China, I just go back for a visit once a year. You're right about the time zones.
greg   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 06:13 GMT
Kazoo : "Head Cheese, if you didn't know, is the meat taken off the cheeks of the pig and made into a kind of paste of pate".

We've got the same in France : delicious !
Deborah   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 06:21 GMT
All of the descriptions of making head cheese that I read in stories about the American pioneers talk about using the whole head, plus other porcine body parts. These recipes are typical (not the second one):
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,26-0,hog+head+cheese,FF.html
Travis   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 06:22 GMT
I'll stick with my bratwurst, thank you.
greg   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 06:28 GMT
In France some people even eat pig's feet and ox's tongue. I don't.
Kazoo   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 06:29 GMT
Greg,
I was trying to think of the name in French, it sounds much more appetizing if you call it by the French name, which I still can't remember.
Kazoo   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 06:35 GMT
Deborah,

You are probably right about other things also being in head cheese.

Greg,

We sometimes eat some other strange foods in Canada as well. Where I'm from we eat a lot of seaweed called dulse. It's a purple papery seaweed that's definitely an acquired taste. Some people also like oxtail soup, I can't say I've ever tried it though. In one particular area people eat cod tongue.
Deborah   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 06:42 GMT
I went to college in North Carolina, where the cafeteria food was pretty lousy, except for the traditional southern dishes (fried chicken, greens, okra, biscuits, black-eyed peas, and pecan pie). One day they served pig's feet, which look pretty unappetizing because of their pinkish-grey color. I'd already been introduced to them by my grandmother, so I ordered a plate of them, and the students from the South knew what they were, but a lot of people just stared in disgust and moved on to something else. The servers had a great time laughing at people's expressions.
andre in usa   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 08:21 GMT
The real typical American breakfast is small: your choice of either cold cereal w/milk, pop-tarts, toast, or a bagel, and coffee or juice before quickly running out the door for work/school.
Frances   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 08:25 GMT
Deborah - I think the old trotters would be a delicacy in old China, but I guess it's all about how you were raised. I was raised to eat chicken and pork livers but my husband can't touch them. I also had a friend who loved chicken feet too, a delicacy in China too.
Deborah   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 08:48 GMT
Kazoo, Greg,

<< I was trying to think of the name in French, it sounds much more appetizing if you call it by the French name, which I still can't remember. >>

I don't suppose it's "fromage de tête," is it?
Deborah   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 09:06 GMT
Here's some interesting information:

http://www.stuffucanuse.com/strange_food.htm

I can't imagine why ceviche is on the list.
George   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 09:08 GMT
<<I don't suppose it's "fromage de tête," is it? >>

You suppose correctly, Deborah.

from answers.com:

"In England, head cheese is referred to as brawn, and in France it is called fromage de tête, which translates as 'cheese of the head'."
canaws   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 09:19 GMT
A traditional American breakfast is pancakes, bacon and/or sausage, eggs, and orange juice, sometimes hashbrowns. Pancakes are sometimes replaced by biscuits, waffles, or hot cereal.

Personally, I had biscuits, bacon, and eggs with a glass of milk this morning. Most of my life it's been cereal and the like during the weekdays (as described by andre in usa) and real breakfast on the weekends and holidays when someone had time to cook it.