Too many problems

new_boy   Friday, June 03, 2005, 03:09 GMT
As always, I need you to correct my writing, and still wait your tips! But, because today is Friday, I will only reply your posting on Monday, if you reply my posting too late today.

I think it is becoming more and more interesting when there're many people come replying my writing.
Gabe   Friday, June 03, 2005, 03:55 GMT
Ah, well since you asked for it.... here's my corrected version of your two earlier posts, with corrections in CAPS, and deletions marked as ***:

I also have the same feeling AS you KSa. Sometimes I feel that I should have gone to AN English-speaking country like the USA or England, or Canada. But, it takes a lot of money, while at the same time I often see some people in my country that *** can speak English very well without ever going to English-speaking countries. But, usually their EDUCATIONAL background is from English Literature Faculty.

Sometimes I feel that this is a challenge. Especially when I read that the owner of this site is not from AN English-speaking country and he can speak English well. So, I still think that it is possible to learn English and BECOME a good enough speaker without having to go to an English-speaking country.

So, while I am maiNtaining my level of English now by doing the same thing as KSa has done, by reading or watching English MOVIES, I am trying also to UP my English level.

As always, I need you to correct my writing, and still AWAIT your tips! But, because today is Friday, I will only reply TO your posting on Monday, if you reply TO my posting too late today.

I think it is becoming more and more interesting when there're many people *** replying TO my writing.

That should do it. Have a nice weekend!
new_boy   Friday, June 03, 2005, 07:45 GMT
Wow great!

I still have several hours before leaving the office, so I still have time to read your response. Excellent!

Well, articles! Articles!....

Ok, looking at the way I write sentences in English, how do you measure my English level?
andre in south africa   Friday, June 03, 2005, 07:58 GMT
I would say you English is actually quite good new_boy ;) It still needs some work, but don't get discouraged, you're well on your way to speaking it fluently - your last posting, for example, was perfect :)
Deborah   Friday, June 03, 2005, 11:24 GMT
Well andre I can't say the same for your English! Just look at what you wrote and I quote: "I would say YOU English is actually quite good ass_hole......"
I must point out here that your knowledge of verbs in this context is insufficient!
I would like to see a marked improvement next time I read your mail or else you WILL rape me!
Travis   Friday, June 03, 2005, 12:10 GMT
I assume the above is not the real Deborah, of course.
Gabe   Friday, June 03, 2005, 13:48 GMT
Of course...

And new_boy. Do you have any pets? What's it like where you live? Have you ever been to another country?

Write about anything you'd like and I'd be happy to look it over and make corrections for you.
Adam   Friday, June 03, 2005, 16:40 GMT
The definite article is more difficult to use in English than in other languages because its use is not as flexible in English.

Other languages, such as French and Italian, use the definite article all the time. In English we say "It is time to go to bed", whereas in French and Italian they say "It is the time to go to the bed."

It is difficult to explain when not to use the definite article in English. English has two types of nouns - abstract nouns and non-abstract nouns. Abstract nouns are the names of things that your senses cannot detect - you cannot see them, cannot hear them, cannot smell them, cannot taste them, and cannot feel them. And usually with abstract nouns, the definite article is not said.

"Freedom", "happiness" and "bravery" are abstract nouns, so "the" is usually not said in front of them.

So in English we say "I want freedom" but in other languages you must say "I want THE freedom."

Abstract nouns are divided into two further types of nouns - countable and uncountable. It is usually the uncountable nouns (such as "freedom") where "the" is omitted.
Adam   Friday, June 03, 2005, 16:50 GMT
Always use the definite article

a) before singular and plural nouns when you are talking about things that both speakers know about.

examples:

'These are the books that I borrowed from the library.' (We can see the books and we know where the library is.)

'Where are the stamps I bought yesterday?' (You know the ones I mean. You were with me when I bought them.)

'What did you think of the film?' (I am talking about the one you saw last night)

b) with certain geographical locations or areas, collections of states or islands, mountain ranges, seas and rivers - if you are not sure where any of the following places are, check them out in an atlas:

The People's Republic of China, The United Kingdom, The United States of America, The Philippines, The Bahamas, The Netherlands, The Channel Islands, The Far East, The Alps, The Andes, The Cairngorms, The Himalayas, The Rockies, The Hindu Kush, The Pacific Ocean, The Mediterranean, The Dead Sea, The Black Sea, The Arabian Sea, The Thames, The Yangtze, The Ganges, The White Nile, The Mississippi, The Amazon

c) with groups of people, and with musical and scientific instruments and animals when you are discussing them as categories:

'The hospital in Cheery Orchard Avenue is a hospital for the elderly and infirm.'

'The poor are always disadvantaged in contemporary society.

'Matilda is learning to play the trumpet; her brother plays the drums.'

'Who invented the telescope?' 'The first one was made by Galileo in 1608.'

'The Bengali tiger is threatened with extinction.'

'The Manx cat is native to the Isle of Man.

Always omit (miss out) the definite article

d) when making general statements about things, people and abstract ideas. In the following examples, a general statement

(= - the) is contrasted with a specific reference (= + the):

'I enjoy reading contemporary fiction - especially the novels of David Lodge.'

'Poverty is one of the scourges of the 21st Century.'

'The poverty I witnessed in the inner city slums was indescribable.'

'You don't often see people drinking beer at cocktail parties.'

e) when talking about particular countries, continents, towns, streets, buildings, lakes and mountains:

China, Pakistan, America, England, (Great) Britain, South America, Central America.

'Genoa is in Northern Italy.'

'Valencia is in Southern Spain.'

'They are both in Europe.'

'Westminster Abbey is near Parliament Square - at the top end of Victoria Street.'

'Lake Windermere is in the Lake District.'

'Everest and K2 are the two tallest mountains in the world.

f) when talking about transport, meals, games in general terms and with certain time expressions, months, seasons, etc.

'I'm going by car, but Andy's going by train.'

'Would you like to have lunch now?' 'I haven't had breakfast yet!'

'In this school we play rugby in the autumn term and football in the spring term. In summer everybody plays tennis.'

'Next Friday is the last day of term. In August the school is closed.'
Gabe   Friday, June 03, 2005, 17:11 GMT
Wow, thanks Adam. That was quite interesting -- even *I* learned a lot there... (and I'm a native speaker)