Archie Andrews

Damian   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 19:00 GMT
I have absolutely, positively, affirmatively, decisively, most definitely, quite resolutely, indefatigably, incontrovertibly, immeasurably no idea what you guys are on about in this thread, but it's interesting to read anyway.

I can contribute this though....I agree that "gonna" and "wanna" are used quite often (informally of course) here in this Blessed Plot of a Sceptered Isle....England especially.
Deborah   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 19:02 GMT
"Gonna" and "wanna" are also considered informal in the US. So what's the difference?
andre in south africa   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 19:05 GMT
I knew it, my parents were wrong :)))
andre in south africa   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 19:18 GMT
Although you will seldom hear "wanna" or "gonna" in SA English
posts   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 21:30 GMT
Andre, no doubt your parents are right about 'wanna' and 'gonna' being bad english but it's so common that even prime ministers or PM wannabes (<--no pun intended) speak that way too. I imagine plenty of people in SA must speak that way too...

Deborah, that's right, Thurl Ravenscroft was his name and "Horton Hears a Who" was his collaboration with Dr. Seuss. My mistake. :)

Damian - lol - I'm not sure if you're sure you have no idea.
Damian   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 21:34 GMT
Indisputably sure!!!! :-)
andre in south africa   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 21:35 GMT
hehe posts *wannabes* we use but *wanna* and *gonna*... nope! :)
Deborah   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 21:39 GMT
Speaking of Dr. Seuss..."Fox In Sox" is a great gift for people who are learning English. Here's the text:

http://wtimmins.tripod.com/lore/foxinsocks.html

The illustrations add so much, though.
Deborah   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 21:42 GMT
There are some typos in the above-linked text.
Deborah   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 21:45 GMT
...and a mistake in one of my posts: "Fox In Sox" --> "Fox In Socks"
Mireille Matthieu   Friday, June 03, 2005, 11:46 GMT
Deborah cherie!

Il te faut vraiment trouver des moyens pour rendre ta vie plus interressante.... plus sensuelle quoi! Je te propose de trouver un mec et de te laisser aller dans ses mains expertes!

Autrement dit: t'as besoin d'une grosse bite dans ta chatte ma biche!
Mireille Matthieu   Friday, June 03, 2005, 12:15 GMT
Autrement dit: t'as besoin d'une grosse bite dans ta chatte ma biche!

Translation...
In other words: you really need a big fat cock in your pussy, my darling!
Deborah   Friday, June 03, 2005, 18:00 GMT
I think the fake Mireille Matthieu nunmber 2 has finally got it! The penny's dropped, she's not a moron after all class ha! ha! ha!

Well done fake!
Deborah   Friday, June 03, 2005, 18:15 GMT
posts   Friday, June 03, 2005, 18:20 GMT
Wow, perhaps 'Mireille Matthieu' should read The Archies comic books. Despite some informal/bad english the books does have a high percentage of good english and even an occasional the french word. The Cat in the Hat books can be quite helpful in decreasing the wrong choice of words or the erroneous choices of words in constructing sentences.