The english language is anti-spanish

bernard   Monday, June 06, 2005, 23:06 GMT
in french someone from "Cevennes" is "Cévenol"
Beat   Monday, June 06, 2005, 23:34 GMT
Quite correct; and someone from Mongolia is a 'Mongol', but this is not certainly the same case. By the way, which country is this Cevennes in? Sounds like Occitany to me...
Shanaz to Greg   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 01:33 GMT
Lancashireman, Lancashirewoman/Lancastrian
John   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 01:43 GMT
<<In this context it is again interesting to note that only the 'peoples' closest to the English have been blessed with the "-man" ending.>>

archaic terms:
Chinaman
Guineaman
Bob   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 02:18 GMT
<<now, what puzzles me is the -ol termination ... A friend once told me that's the only gentillicium ending like that, but never got to tell me where did it come from... Anyone got a clue?>>

from wikipedia:

"HISPANIA was the name given to the Iberian Peninsula by the Romans when they discovered and later subjugated it. The name was previously Canaanite 'î sepanîm <a textual approximation only>, meaning "coast of hyraxes", named by Canaanite-speaking Phoenicians. The Romans called its inhabitants HISPANI (singular: HISPANVS), and the relevant adjective was HISPANICVS. These terms would naturally have developed into España, espanos (singular: espano) in Castilian. In reality, only the first term exists in modern Castilian, as it seems that the Spanish borrowed the Occitan name for themselves, which was the name España plus the diminutive suffix -ol, from the Latin -VLVS or -OLVS. We can see this because if the native Castilian suffix had been used this would have given us españuelo rather than español."
greg   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 09:00 GMT
John (Cornish Unionist), Penzanceto John   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 13:18 GMT
<<In this context it is again interesting to note that only the 'peoples' closest to the English have been blessed with the "-man" ending.>>

Cornishman/Cornishwoman! Cornwall is British and will always stay as such!
Beat   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 18:03 GMT
Thanks Bernard, Bob and Greg: what a revoltin' development, espanhòl being of occitan origin! Why, I should've consulted the Wikipedia alright! And of course Cevennes is Occitany, me dumbass! Now all the pieces seem to fit, no?
Adam   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 18:05 GMT
Someone from Lancashire is a "Lancastrian" whether they are male or female.
Adam   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 18:08 GMT
"In this context it is again interesting to note that only the 'peoples' closest to the English have been blessed with the "-man" ending.
Frenchman
Norman
Irishman
Dutchman
Cornishman
Welshman
Scotsman
German "

Well, there's Chinaman/Chinawoman. That term is not archaic, because there is no other noun we can use.
Elaine   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 18:39 GMT
<<Well, there's Chinaman/Chinawoman. That term is not archaic, because there is no other noun we can use.>>

Chinese??
Travis   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 18:41 GMT
Well, at least here it is archaic; in most contexts one'd just use "Chinese person", or if one wants to be specific gender-wise, "Chinese man" or "Chinese woman". Another note is that in the cases of both "German" (as I explained earlier) and "Norman", today "man" is a fused part of the term, as one can't say "Gerwoman" or "Norwoman", and one uses said terms for both men and women; I suspect that in both cases, that was practically always the case myself.
hispanicus   Wednesday, June 08, 2005, 05:27 GMT
Bob,
if you read Spanish, you could see Covarrubias. It's a lot of fun and he has a long article about España. Named first Iberia, would be Hispania, from Hispán, (Garibay), from Hispalo or Hispalí... etc. etc. (Sebastian de Covarrubias, Tesoro de la lengua castellana o española, 1610)