What do your call your grandmother and grandfather?

Don   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 17:12 GMT
Earlier I asked what you called your parents. Now I'm asking what you call your grandparents. What do you call your grandparents? I call them ''Grandmother'' and ''Granddad''.
Don   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 17:15 GMT
The grandparents on my father's side. And the grandparents on my mother's side I call ''grandma'' and ''pop''.
The Swede   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 17:16 GMT
Farmor & Farfar
and
Mormor & Morfar
mjd   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 17:18 GMT
The most common terms in my part of the U.S. is grandpa or grandma. Some people, often those of Italian descent, will refer to their grandmothers as "Nana."

For me it was always "grandma" and "grandpa" and on the Portuguese side of the family "avó" and "avô."
Travis   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 17:49 GMT
Around here in the US such are called "grandma" and "grandpa", *but* the pronunciation of such here is not reflected by the spellings of the words in question. Such are pronounced as if they were spelled "gramma" and "grampa" respectively, that is, as /"gr{m@/ --> ["gr{~:.m@] and /"gr{mp@/ --> ["gr{~:m.p@] respectively.
Travis   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 17:52 GMT
That should be ["gr\{~:.m@] and ["gr\{~:m.p_h@] respectively, actually.
Lazar   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 18:32 GMT
I call my maternal grandmother "Nana". I'm not Italian, though.

I called my maternal grandfather "Bop Bop". My father always called him "Pops", and I tried to imitate that when I was first learning to speak, and it came out "Bop Bop".

I never knew my paternal grandparents, by the way.
Sander   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 19:27 GMT
Dutch:

Grandfather = Grootvader (rather old fashioned)
Grandmother = Grootmoeder (rather old fashioned)
Grandpa = Opa
Grandma =Oma

Great grandmother = Overgrootmoeder = opoe
Trisha   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 21:20 GMT
In Irish:

formal

grandfather = seanathair

grandmother = seanmháthair

informal

grandaddy etc = daideo

granny/nana = mamó
Trisha   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 21:24 GMT
great-grandfather = sin-seanathair

great-grandmother = sin-seanmháthair
Kirk   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 21:33 GMT
For me, I'm the same as Travis. I call my grandparents "Gramma" and "Grampa." /gr{m@/ and /gr{mp@/ respectively.

I have several friends here in America who call their grandparents "mormor" "morfar" and "farfar" and "mormor"--they're of Swedish descent (I am too but we don't use those terms in my family).
Damian in Edinburgh   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 22:24 GMT
Gran and Grandad in both cases. One set lives here and the others down in Hereford, in England! In Glasgow a lot of people call their grandads "geetsher"! Don't ask me what it means as I havenae clue.
Travis   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 22:50 GMT
Kirk, that's sort of the same with my dad (but using German rather than Swedish terms); he consistently refers to a particular grandmother or greatgrandmother of his as just "oma", to the point that I don't know what her actual name was (but then, I don't even know what his parents' names were, even though he's made reference to various relatives of his rather often).
Frances   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:36 GMT
I never met my grandparents because 3/4 of them died before I was born and the other 1/4 was overseas. But I suppose if they were around, I would have called them baba (grandmother) and dedo (grandfather).

My husband calls his grandparents nana and papa, and I call them that too but then add their first names after that.