Please help for paper!

Alyssa   Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:48 pm GMT
I have a question for all of you.

I am from Southern California and recently noticed that i drop the "t" sound in many of my words. I also say "an" at the end of even the word it sounds like butan.

For example...mounain (mountain), butan (button), Quinan (the name Quintin)

Just wondering if there is a word for this. I in a Linguistics class and i am writing a paper.

Is this some kind of glottal stop?

Guest   Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:30 am GMT
Anyone have any ideas?
Lo   Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:35 am GMT
Well, I do have a glottal stop there. I say /bVt_}?@n/ for button and /maUn?@n/ for mountain. I do pronounce the T in Quentin or Quintin, though.
Lo   Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:39 am GMT
The diacritics are wrong. It should be /bV_}t?n/