Effectiveness of music in language learning

Skippy   Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:48 pm GMT
I'm sure others do this, as I believe this topic has been brought up before... I've been listening to groups like Killerpilze and die Aeronauten to get a handle on some German colloquialisms and (especially syntax). What do you listen to for other languages?
Earle   Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:01 pm GMT
I used German records extensively for pronunciation when I started learning German. The difference is that the records were vinyl and the songs were German folk songs... :D
K. T.   Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:55 am GMT
I didn't think they would allow us to keep this topic, but since it's still here, I'll comment.

Generally speaking if I learn a song in another language, those words and phrases are mine-perhaps for life. I know people who may not actively remember anything BUT the words of the songs they learned in the foreign language.
Guest   Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:59 am GMT
For Japanese: Get "Sing Japanese"
Spanish: Take your pick. Like Salsa? Celia Cruz. Watch MTV3.
French: The easy podcast "The Frenchpodcast" has a lot of samples to choose from.
Guest   Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:13 am GMT
Make sure you choose good (linguistically that is, taste is up to you) singers though. I once met a foreigner who had memorised all of Eminem's lyrics, and needless to say he sounded like a dork.
Guest   Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:03 am GMT
Sorry, that's "French pod class".
Guest   Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:25 am GMT
a good way is trying to sing together with the singer when the lyric is given in the video.
For instance, if you are learning spanish ,watch this video and let me know whether it is effective or not:
Ximena SariƱana-Cuento
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKInPTjXeXI&feature=related
K. T.   Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:30 pm GMT
Interesting style, I must say. It's good to have the lyrics, but on my computer the words and the music aren't connected in time. What I see is not being sung for example. Of course, a serious student could write down the words and get the song.