Okay OR Not Okay?

Guest   Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:10 am GMT
Three questions. Please note if you are a native or non-native speaker.

1. Cultural norms: Is it okay to film a teacher in class with a cameraphone without asking permission?

2. What is the best way to ask for permission?

3. What should a student say who does not want to be filmed?
Guest   Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:18 am GMT
1. Cultural norms: Is it okay to film a teacher in class with a cameraphone without asking permission?

only if the teacher is a newbie

2. What is the best way to ask for permission?

"Let me take a photo!"

3. What should a student say who does not want to be filmed?

"I'm gonna take a photo. Get lost if you don't wanna be filmed."
Guest   Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:40 am GMT
Your answer to number three doesn't make sense to me.

What if I am the student who doesn't want to be filmed? How can I say this in a nice way to an older person who is filming and recording the class?
Guest   Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:40 am GMT
Your answer to number three doesn't make sense to me.

What if I am the student who doesn't want to be filmed? How can I say this in a nice way to an older person who is filming and recording the class?
Guest   Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:47 am GMT
"Don't film me or I'll sue you!" is the best thing to say.
Guest   Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:54 am GMT
Perhaps I can ask this differently. Is it okay for students to film the teacher at the university, in community classes, in high school, etc?
Is it common? I can't tell if the student is filming or phoning and I can't tell who is in the picture because of the way our seats are arranged. Personally, I don't like being filmed in such a way.
Guest   Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:07 am GMT
I think it is legal if it's a public school. A private school can deny students the right to film.
Guest   Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:17 am GMT
That's very interesting. It's illegal to film on planes, trains, and other forms of transport in some countries-or there seems to be limitations.

Thank-you for your opinion.
Uriel   Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:58 am GMT
The legality probably varies from place to place. I think the polite thing to do is always to ask permission to film or record other people, and to abide by their consent or denial.

The polite way to ask for permission is to say, "Do you mind if I film (or record) this class for my own personal use?" That addresses two issues -- asking permission and explaining what you intend to do with the result. People have a right to refuse to allow their image to be used commercially or broadcast without their permission, which is why you often see people blurred or edited out on reality TV and newscasts. If someone were filming me, I would want to know why and where that footage was going to end up. If I objected to being filmed or recorded, I would say, "I'd prefer that you didn't." It's polite, but gets the point across. If they persist, say, "Please don't." and if they still won't respect your wishes, I think you can always take the matter up with your teacher, who should be willing to rearrange your seating or to speak to the person doing the filming.

I'm a native speaker, by the way.
Guest   Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:36 am GMT
Good answers. Thank-you.
Guest   Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:22 am GMT
<<if they still won't respect your wishes, I think you can always take the matter up with your teacher>>

Or you can sue them and make some easy money.
Shane   Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:17 am GMT
Native English Speaker

1. In North America directly recording someone without asking them would be considered extremely rude. However, if you just happen to get filmed while you are filming other things while in a public place, it's not that big of an issue.

2. "Can I record this/you, I would like to because <insert reason here>

3. "I really would rather not be filmed, please."
Saying "Get lost" for example, would be a rude way of saying it.
Shane   Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:20 am GMT
Oh and by the way - suing someone filming you really depends on the State/Country, location, and what you are doing. If it's in a public place, you are more or less fair game and you'd be hard pressed to find a laywer willing to waste their time over such a trivial concern. In North America, anyway.