Do Californians have an accent?

Lazar   Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:09 pm GMT
And likewise with [{], I thought that the standard General American [{] was already at the front of the usable vowel space, with the NCVS merely raising and diphthongizing it.
meez   Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:50 pm GMT
f course they have....Have you never heard Schwarzenegger talking....
Travis   Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:50 pm GMT
>>f course they have....<<

Yes, but...

>>Have you never heard Schwarzenegger talking....<<

You do realize that he is from Austria, his native language is German, and he only moved to the US as an adult (and for a while had quite a heavy German accent to his English), do you?
Rob   Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:23 pm GMT
Travis, I'd like to think meez was joking!
Guest   Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:54 pm GMT
I was under impression that Schwarzenegger STILL has a heavy Austrian (not German) accent. Was that even you, Travis?
Travis   Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:21 pm GMT
>>I was under impression that Schwarzenegger STILL has a heavy Austrian (not German) accent. Was that even you, Travis?<<

Yes, that was me. And yes, he still has a significant German* accent, but in the past it was even heavier than it was today, which complicated his trying to get into acting from his previous bodybuilding activities.

* when I say "German" here, I am referring to the High German language, dialects of which are obviously spoken in Austria.
Guest   Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:19 pm GMT
When I say Austrian, I mean that to my ears his accent is instantly recognizable as Austrian (Styrian) and not, let's say Bavarian.
meez   Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:13 am GMT
What? Schwarzenegger from Austria...nooooooo....what a shock...
In fact, I really couldn't say whether they have a particular accent in California (apart form Arni ;-)) because to me all Americans sound more or less the same (but I think that people who grew up in the States would recognise a difference)
Guest   Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:54 pm GMT
Shwarznegger is a pure US product! Shame on you guys to say to the rest of the world he is not! Do you the Terminator is austrian????

What californian accent are you talking about???

The one form LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Sacaramenta, Santa Cruz????????

the one from an hispano? An anglo?
Guest   Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:27 pm GMT
Yes, there are many Californian accents. SF accent (Midland sounding) is different than Bakersfield accent which is different from SoCal accent...
Skippy   Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:29 pm GMT
what are some distinctions between Austrian and Bavarian?
Ivan   Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:18 pm GMT
If by 'accent' you mean 'can an English speaker immediately tell if someone is from California just by the way they speak', the answer is....typically....no.

There is...or was....a stereotype of a 'Valley Girl' accent. Where, like, you use 'like', like, every other word. In practice, though, you almost never really hear that.

Or at least I don't. But then I don't live in California, so what do I know?
Guest   Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:31 pm GMT
Skippy
I do not know how to explain that to you. I'm not a linguist and I can't use X-sampa or IPA (or something else). I just hear it and where I live I hear it a lot. Let's say Austrian has a different melody and even more umlauts , lol.
Skippy   Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:48 pm GMT
lol thanks Guest.

And, actually, the Southern California accent is very much "Valley Girl/Surfer Dude." It's even quickly picked up by those who move to So Cal. I can't think of any of my So Cal friends who don't have this accent (I'm not talking five people here, I lived in San Diego for four years).
Guest   Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:28 am GMT
The thing I seem to notice is how most younger Californians have a very fronted vowel for the GOOSE and GOAT sets. In addition, many of them (thanks to the California Vowel Shift) are using a more rounded vowel in their merged LOT/THOUGHT set.

I have come across several speakers from in and around the San Joaquin Valley, and most of them have the pin/pen and fill/feel merger. However, in the San Francisco area, these mergers do not seem to exist.

Canadian Raising seems to be entirely absent in California, as it seems that most of them rhyme "writer" with "rider". Many Californians also seem to throw a dark L in their PALM set, but this is not always the case in parts of Northern California.

Californian dialects can be very subtle and general Western or they can come across as sounding vaguely Southern Midland with a low-back merger.

I honestly do not know how people can confuse Californian and Canadian dialects. I suppose the two vowel shifts are nearly identical in certain regards, but I can almost always hear a difference between the two. General Californian dialects can often sound identical to the ones you will find in Arizona and maybe Nevada, but they seem to differ from what you will generally hear in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.