The word "get"

new_boy   Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:59 am GMT
I am learning about word "get". Other than online dictionary, is there any websites explaining the use of the word "get"? Can we learn how to use it without memorizing all of the meaning of "get"? May be there's a pattern how to use it.

Thank you.
Johnny   Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:32 am GMT
Read about in a grammar book, to learn the most important structures (for example: I got my hair cut).
Then just use a dictionary, and look at the most common ways to use it, and read the examples. Then whenever you come across "get", try to understand what it means and why it was used that way, using your dictionary.
Don't learn anything by heart if it's not necessary. If you don't use what you learn, you'll forget it.
Johnny   Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:33 am GMT
<<Read about *it* in...>> Ooops!
Skippy   Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:23 pm GMT
I'm not positive, but I wouldn't doubt if many grammar books avoid "get" in any context other than receiving something. "I got my hair cut" may be rendered "I had my hair cut."
Guest   Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:49 am GMT
If 'get' has 50 meanings or whatever, just treat it as 50 different words, and learn each one separately when you come across it.
Tom Jim Jack   Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:48 am GMT
To new_boy:

GET has universal meaning, you can put it instead of any English verb. Very useful when you can not pick up a proper word for the situation.