Cleopatra

Kirk   Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:36 am GMT
<< Has any Greek influence been preserved in Egyptian language? >>
" -- Ancient Egyptian has been substituted by Arabic long time ago but survives as liturgigal language of the Egytian Coptic Christian Church, which uses an slightly modified Greek alphabet. "

The history of the Egyptian language is characterized by two important transitions, one in the structure of the language and another in its orthography. First, a change from synthetic to analytic patterns in the verbal system and the nominal syntax took place, and is often described in scholarly literature as a transition from "Older Egyptian" (Old and Middle Egyptian) to "Later Egyptian" (Late, Demotic and Coptic Egyptian).

On the whole, Later Egyptian is characterized by the development of analytic features such as prefixal definite and indefinite articles, which replaced the earlier suffixal markers of morphological oppositions (more akin to Semitic), as well as a periphrastic development involving a change from the older VSO word order (also characteristic of Classical Arabic and Biblical Hebrew) to SVO.

Typical of other Afro-Asiatic languages, Older Egyptian was a fusional language with a Verb Subject Object synthetic structure. Later Egyptian, including Coptic, is marked by a diachronic shift to a Subject Verb Object word order, prefixed constructions for nominal morphemes of gender and number, as well as a move toward a polysynthetic type in Coptic.

While some vestiges of the suffix inflectional pattern survive in Coptic (mainly to indicate inalienable possession), the change is fairly uniform across the different dialects. The decline in suffix inflection can be observed when comparing the Classical Egyptian form stp.f 'he chooses' to Coptic f.sotp ϥⲥⲱⲧⲡ 'he chooses', where the third person singular masculine marker has been preposed.

So again we are in presence of a transition from synthetic to analytic induced by language contact, here Greek ruling caste in Egypt. The genesis of Romance out of Latin could have happened also this way.
Guest   Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:55 pm GMT
Cleopatra was of Egyptian ancestry, language and culture. The Ptolemaic dynasty lived in and ruled over Egypt 300 years before Cleopatra was born!
Guest   Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:09 am GMT
<<Some sources say that she also spoke Aramaic , Ethiopic, and Hebrew.>>
Could you cite some of yours sources. I would like to know what did she use Hebrew and Aramaic for.
<<The body language of Cleopatra probably was very sensual.>>
I've seen some of her statues and I doubt she was really pretty.
<<Cleopatra was of Egyptian ancestry, language and culture. The Ptolemaic dynasty lived in and ruled over Egypt 300 years before Cleopatra was born!>>
Bullshit!
Guest   Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:56 am GMT
<<The body language of Cleopatra probably was very sensual.>>
I've seen some of her statues and I doubt she was really pretty.

Sensual = pretty. Not!
Guest   Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:57 am GMT
Cleopatra es mi novia, ¿será posible que ustedes conozcan a mi novia? Pero, mi novia sólo tiene 12 años, no puede haber vivido en tiempos tan remotos como los de los romanos, creo que me están tomando el pelo.... Bueno, habré de hacerle unas preguntas esta noche antes de follarla... Espero que esto sea un simple equivocación.
Guest   Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:07 am GMT
Inappropriate message above.
Guest   Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:01 am GMT
It is remarkable that the Ptolemaic dynasty remained for 3 centuries Greek in the middle of an Egyptian country.
J.C.   Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:18 am GMT
I remembered having read somewhere that Cleopatra was born in Egypt but had Macedonian roots, which might mean that her mother tongue could be Macedonian...
Guest   Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:01 pm GMT
Greeks speaking Greek but living and being born in Egypt were and are Egyptians!