Using Get

new_boy   Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:54 am GMT
I am confused with the use of 'get', example:

--The football player is injured vs The football player gets injured.---

How do the above sentences differ? When should we use the first form and the second form?

Thank you.
Travis   Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:05 am GMT
These both are passive constructions, with "The football player is injured" and "The football player gets injured" just happening to use different auxiliary verbs (yes, in this place "to get" is effectively an auxiliary verb) along with a past participle to mark passiveness. Note though that "to get" may be more limited in the range of dialects and registers in which it is used than "to be" here, and is generally more informal than it. Also note that in many cases, "to get" may have different shades of meaning than "to be" in passive constructions, and often implies, or when used with a reflexive pronoun, states explicitly that the subject had a role in bringing about the action in question, unlike with "to be".

However, "The football player is injured" can also be read as simply meaning that the current state of the football player is that they have been injured, without actually referring to any actual action per se. This is unlike "The football player gets injured", which always is referring to an action in passive voice and which never indicates just state.
new_boys   Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:11 am GMT
Could you give me more examples? I just want to make sure my understanding about this kind of sentence.

Thanks.
new_boy   Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:27 am GMT
Sorry, it is me again. It is me who wrote "new_boys" above.
Travis   Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:32 am GMT
One little detail I forgot is that "to get" does differ from "to be" in passive constructions in that it always indicates that *something* does the action in question *to* the subject, whereas passive constructions with "to be" can be effectively agentless, and can just describe what happens without any implication of something *doing* something.
new_boy   Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:54 am GMT
How about this one:

I am confused vs I get confused.

I feel that meaning of :
first sentence: the current state is confused

second sentence: "I become confused"

Thanks.
Travis   Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:15 am GMT
>>I feel that meaning of :
first sentence: the current state is confused

second sentence: "I become confused"

Thanks.<<

Yes, your assessment of such is correct, at least with respect to my own dialect (and most likely at least most other North American English dialects).