crack

MollyB   Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:48 am GMT
The word "crack", in its relation to drug use/abuse, was once seen as slang and used only among certain people, but now, many people know and use the word to refer to the same thing. Could we now say that the word is standard, or would you still see it as slang - or could it be both slang and standard at the same time? Also, has there ever been a time in the history of the English language where there was/has been a clear division between standard and non-standard use or is the acceptance of what is or isn't standard a more personal thing?
Adil Shah   Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:06 am GMT
I meaning of words does not change, it remains the same
Guest   Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:37 am GMT
<I meaning of words does not change, it remains the same >

I think you're wrong.
Guest   Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:38 am GMT
Has the meaning of the word "gay" changed over the centuries, Adil Shah?
guest   Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:25 pm GMT
"Crack" is changing too, by adding a new sense (drug sense)

<<,Also, has there ever been a time in the history of the English language where there was/has been a clear division between standard and non-standard use or is the acceptance of what is or isn't standard a more personal thing? >>

isn't vs. ain't
realize (make real) vs. realize (to come to know)
transpire (escape as vapor) vs. transpire (to occur)

these are some that I can think of
Guest   Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:53 pm GMT
<isn't vs. ain't >

Personal, right?
Earle   Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:26 pm GMT
"Prevent" went from "going before" to keeping something from happening...
Johnny   Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:06 pm GMT
"Crack" is not slang because everyone knows what it is, and you can hear it used by every kind of person in every kind of situation. It's just a kind of drug. Slang is "language peculiar to a particular group". You could consider some "jargon" as part of slang, even though "slang" tend to be associated with informal situations, and not to with technical jargon for example.

If you want to consider "crack" slang, then words like "adjective", "hi-fi" and "internet" should be considered slang too. But that's not slang.

"You are trolling" might be considered slang, but apart from being pretty informal, it's also pretty technical. "This thread is gay" is a better example. It seems a thing you can only expect from young speakers.
Guest   Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:17 am GMT
"Crack" can also mean "ass/arse" or "vagina" in some regions.