Which part of the USA does my (American) accent come from?

Levee   Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:37 pm GMT
OK, now I think it sounds like a mixture of all kinds of different accents (General American, Southern US, Eastern US, African-American Vernacular, British etc.), with a very strong foreign accent. But I don't think it's Asian.
Guest   Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:21 pm GMT
Doesn't sound American. I'd say you're either Swedish or Dutch.
Guest   Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:27 pm GMT
It sounds Eastern European (Polish or SerboCroatian)
Guest   Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:00 pm GMT
So, what's the answer?
Where are you originally from, Ms Flower?
Call me CX   Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:38 pm GMT
I don't know what's up with you people, but she doesn't sound like a non-native speaker to me, and I've heard a lot of different accents. Granted, I can't seem to pin-point her nationality, but she doesn't sound non-native, not at all. You might be being biased.
Rob   Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:01 pm GMT
Call me CX - I'm a native British English speaker and it sounds very affected and certainly non-native. I don't think it's bias, just... an observation. I, too, find it difficult to pinpoint it the accent. To my ears, there's traces of generic Asian characteristics in the speech but it could easily be another region that I'm misinterpreting.
guest   Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:29 pm GMT
You sound like a native Russian speaker.

You don't have any recognizable regional American accent, but if I were to choose one, I'd say New England. You're foreign accent outweighs any ability to perceive an American one. No offense. Just being honest.
CX   Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:49 am GMT
Be smoother with your words, and this applies to everyone. Even if she's not a native speaker, at least she's trying, there's no need to be so blunt.

Thread creator, you may not sound truly American at this moment, but there's nothing keeping you from improving and working on it. With enough practise, you'll be able to convince even the most sensitive ears. Why don't you try the shadowing method? Find a recording that features the natural speech of an American person and try to imitate them.

Alternatively, since many recordings can be quite difficult to follow, you may also attempt to learn the rules of your desired accent, ultimately incorporating these rules into your own speech. I like to call that the phonetic approach to accent learning. Take a generic Scottish accent as an example. It's not long until you discover that their vowels have their own, distinctive sounds. For instance, they will never say "baik", they will only say "byk". (Can't be bothered to look up the proper phonetic transcriptions. XP) As for the other aspects of the accent, such as rhythm and intonation, you'll eventually learn them by constant exposure, so do try to get as much exposure to an American accent as you possibly can.

Lastly, invest time, patience and motivation in it. When it comes to learning something as complex as an entire pronunciation system, no amount of motivation is enough. Confidence and self esteem are also crucial. If you get any negative comments that are not constructive, take my advice and completely disregard them, as they couldn't be more detrimental to the learning process.

Of course, when I say all this, I assume that you're serious about acquiring a different accent. If you're simply making a light-hearted attempt to speak in an accent, then none of the above holds any value and you might as well ignore this post.
Guest   Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:18 pm GMT
"Be smoother with your words"
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. What you ask for is what you get. And it's time for her to produce the answer.

Where are you from, Flower?
Guest   Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:26 pm GMT
<Where are you from, Flower? >

I'm from Garden

LOL....just for a humorous effect. To be honest, I'm also waiting for her answer.
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:01 am GMT
Guest From Garden,

Yeah, I really want to know the answer.