Whats your favorite Germanic language?

Ren   Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:44 pm GMT
<What is that crap all about, Sander????? >

<This is me
http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/medals-german/ospreyBFCman.jpg >

<I like French better than all Germanic languages yes? This is stupid and a waste of time. The Holland people are stupid and ugly yes? >

These post weren't by me. I would like to say sorry if they have offended you.
Xatufan   Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:45 am GMT
My favorite Germanic language is Plattdüütsch (Low Saxon). I also love Yiddish.
Cro Magnon   Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:25 pm GMT
My favorite is English. ;) I like German better than Dutch, and I'm not familiar enough with the others to say.
Sander   Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:57 pm GMT
Ren,

=>These post weren't by me. I would like to say sorry if they have offended you.<=

I don't even notice them anymore ;-)
Sanja   Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:27 pm GMT
"Whats your favorite Germanic language?"

English.
Hopeful   Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:40 pm GMT
English!!! (But I am glad that English is not my mother tongue, I don´t want the whole world to have English as a first language)

I like my own mother tongue (Norwegian) a lot, and especially Old Norse and Icelandic!
Easterner   Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:16 pm GMT
My favourite Germanic language is Swedish. I also like Icelandic from what I have seen of it, but I'm afraid I can't really judge how it actually *sounds*, having seen mostly written texts in it. I like Swedish for its being comparatively the most melodic Germanic language (maybe alongside Norwegian, but I don't know the latter enough to judge: as far as I know, it's syntactically closer to Danish and phonetically to Swedish). Icelandic, on the other hand, has a particular appeal to me for being perhaps the most archaic one in its group, bearing some similarity to Old English.

As for Standard English and German, I like the Northern English/Scottish and the Southwestern (Bavarian and Austrian) pronunciation, respectively. They seem to be have a less "mannered" pronunciation pattern than the standard varieties, RP and Hochdeutsch (as far as RP can still be considered the "norm" in the case of British English, of which I am not sure).

As for Dutch and Afrikaans, I prefer the latter over the former as far as sound goes, but I can understand much less from spoken Afrikaans than from spoken Dutch. Afrikaans has a certain pleasant lilt which makes it sound a little like Swedish.
Guest   Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:40 am GMT
"Whats your favorite Germanic language?"

I'd have to say Dutch -- I always liked those "ij" and "ijk" combinations. Lots of Ks and Zs, too. Street names longer than the streets (at least on the map). Long mashed-together combination words with no spaces between. No overabundant accent marks to clutter up the written page.

Of course, the pronunciation didn't seem the smoothest (at least to my ears), and written German text somehow seems more visually elegant on the page (BTW, I don't understand either Dutch or German, so I can be impartial :-).
Larissa   Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:52 am GMT
English of course i hate German!
Sander   Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:27 pm GMT
I bet german hates you too.

Thank you so much for using arguments.Now we know why you hate German.That helps a lot.Oh, I have to stop typing for a moment the sarcasm is dripping off my keyboard.
Guest   Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:25 pm GMT
Ich liebe gern Deutsch und Ich hasse Frazösisch
Guest   Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:30 pm GMT
Französisch*
Annegrit   Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:01 pm GMT
Ich mag französisch sehr und dann noch den ganz speziellen Dialekt des Deutschen (Erzgebirgisch in der Hormersdorfer Version).

Translation for the poor english: ich like french alot and then this very special german dialect in my homevillage (in the ore mountains).
Larissa   Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:08 pm GMT
"i bet german hates you too" Sander you know what? i don't care at all i said i hate german it's my opinion and mind your own business please ok? bye now
*CarloS*   Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:47 pm GMT
Swedish! :D