poll

Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:01 pm GMT
The more I look at the grammatical nightmares of some other Languages..gender and case endings and using the correct definite article just for starters.....the more I think how easy English must seem to non native learners. From that point of view, anyway. I suppose they are not such nightmares to native speakers of those other Languages as they naturally adapted to them in the whole process of learning them in their formative years.
JJM   Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:14 pm GMT
"The more I look at the grammatical nightmares of some other Languages..gender and case endings and using the correct definite article just for starters.....the more I think how easy English must seem to non native learners. From that point of view, anyway. I suppose they are not such nightmares to native speakers of those other Languages as they naturally adapted to them in the whole process of learning them in their formative years."

The so-called "grammatical nightmares" of other languages are simply that because you yourself are a non-native learner. Everyone's native language is always easiest, for the blindingly obvious reason that it's the one we learn from childhood.

To a native French speaker - even one who has never had a formal grammar lesson - hearing something like "le nouveau maison" just sounds wrong. It sounds wrong in much the same way hearing something like "those dog is big" would sound wrong to you.