Old movies

Guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:19 am GMT
Why do the actors in old movies from the fifties and the like have such wierd sounding accents? Has English really changed that much since then?
Guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:23 pm GMT
No, the accent used in those movies was an artificial accent called ''Midatlantic'' (It's halfway between RP and General American, a hybrid accent)
guest2   Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:17 pm GMT
There is an advantage, however, in watching old movies. A lot of them used a more clearly articulated language, and less slang--not bad for folks trying to understand what they're watching.

It was mentioned on an antimoon thread a couple of years ago:

John Shalikashvili, former U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, learned most of his English by watching John Wayne movies over and over! (Sitting in a movie theater in the 50s, when the movie would run continuously: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shalikashvili)
Milton   Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:21 pm GMT
''There is an advantage, however, in watching old movies. A lot of them used a more clearly articulated language, and less slang''

But many words/expressions from those movies sound old-fashioned (annoyingly so, not always quaint).
On the other hand, western movies seem more ''evergreen''. John Wayne has a nice Western, cot/caught merged accent.
Guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:46 pm GMT
<<No, the accent used in those movies was an artificial accent called ''Midatlantic'>>

but WHY? What's the point in an artificial accent?
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:09 am GMT
In order to sell better,
I guess, pure American accents were considered too ''thick'' for the British and Continental European audience (remember that the British laughed at the American pronunciation when 1st movies arrived to the British shores ;) )
Russconha   Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:13 am GMT
<(remember that the British laughed at the American pronunciation when 1st movies arrived to the British shores ;) )>

We're still laughing now ;)
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:56 am GMT
Laugh is a defense pattern.
Pub Lunch   Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:38 am GMT
I just saw the brilliant American film 'Harvey' and I was struck by the very English pronunciations of one of its lead actresses - Josephine Hull.

Watching the film I noticed that words such as 'Can't' or 'Bath' were pronounced the way we pronounce them here in the South of England, that is, with the long A (or the R sound) so can't sounded like carn't etc.

I was sure that she must be an English actress playing an American but when I googled the film (I'm sad) it turns out that she was factually American, hailing from Newtonville, Massachussets (probably spelt wrong).

So. I suppose my question is "was this 'long A' pronunciation of such words commonplace in this region and if so is this still the case"??

To hear an authentic American accent pronounce these words so similar to how I would say them was surprising to say the least (and quite cool).

Cheers.
Cahota   Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:19 am GMT
A while back I watched a movie called "Ball Of Fire" starring Barbara Stanwyck, Gary Cooper and the man who did the voice of the hookah smoking caterpillar on Alice In Wonderland - can't remember his name at this very moment so forgive me, lol. It was made in 194? something, but anyway...

I, surprisingly, enjoyed watching the movie because of their accents and the slang they used. I'm no linguist so I couldn't tell you what sort of accent they all had but I loved listening to them nonetheless =D

Maybe someone who has seen the movie can shed some light on the subject?
Jasper   Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:26 pm GMT
Isn't that mid-Atlantic accent lovely?

FYI, its use peaked in the 1930s, but some actors used it all the way to the early 1970s.
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:10 pm GMT
Jasper, You're an American. How did you use the word "lovely", anyway?
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:57 pm GMT
''Isn't that mid-Atlantic accent lovely? ''
Nope. It sounded just plain wrong, Merilyn Monroe was from Cali, but she sounded like a Maryland girl in London LOL.
Jasper   Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:52 am GMT
<<Jasper, You're an American. How did you use the word "lovely", anyway?>>

Hmm...I don't know, really---is it because of my Southern roots?

<<Merilyn Monroe was from Cali, but she sounded like a Maryland girl in London LOL.>>

Marilyn Monroe is a very poor example, being from the last generation who was taught Mid-Atlantic English, if at all.

For the best examples, watch movies from the 1930s; probably the best speakers were Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford (in her pre-1935 movies [see the movie Grand Hotel]) Bette Davis, or Katherine Hepburn, or any society matron in any movie from that era.

You'll notice that these are all females. For some reason, it seemed less necessary for the men of those days to learn the dialect.
Jasper   Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:25 pm GMT
Speaking of the mid-Atlantic accent---the single best example I know is Grace Kelly. How could I have forgotten her?

Beautiful, soft, gentle, and sophisticated, the men will fall in love with her. Catch her in Hitchcock's Rear Window, which is a great movie besides having Grace Kelly. I strongly recommend it. Alternately, Dial M for Murder will entertain you as well as grace your presence with Grace.