Pronunciation of "dude".

Guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:18 pm GMT
I pronounce this word as "dood" [du:d], even though I don't have yod dropping in "dew/due" [dju:], "dual" [dju@5] etc. It's makes sense to me as the word originated in America, and so it makes sense for it to have an American pronunciation. However, I've seen dictionaries list [dju:d] as an alternative. Does anyone ever actually say it that way?
guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:00 pm GMT
When used in the surfer/skater sense of the word (eg. Dude!) no.

When used to refer to other, legitimate 'Dudage', such as Dude ranch, etc. I have heard it pronounced as "dju:d"
Travis   Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:13 pm GMT
I myself think informal spellings such as "dewd" for "dude" do not really indicate [ˈdjuːd] but rather simple vowel fronting as [ˈdʉːd] or, more extremely, as [ˈdyːd]. I really doubt that there is anyone who natively pronounces "dude" with something like [ˈdjuːd], and those who do are likely speakers of non-North American dialects who have adopted spelling pronunciations of "dude".
Milton   Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:03 pm GMT
I agree, spellings like ''dewd'' for ''dude'' and ''kewl'' for ''cool'' indicate the vowel fronting.
Guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:23 pm GMT
doodé
Levee   Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:45 pm GMT
Yeah, I think it should be /Iu/
Lazar   Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:59 pm GMT
The Cambridge Online Dictionary gives only ["du:d] for British English, and the Longman Online Dictionary gives only ["dju:d].
Travis   Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:23 pm GMT
The matter here, of course, is that "dude" is practically a loanword in English English...
workstationnumlock   Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:38 pm GMT
Definitely "dood".
I write "dood".
Russconha   Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:15 am GMT
Dude rhymes with food and lewd
Skippy   Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:35 am GMT
Like many of the Americans of my generation, rather than /dud/ I pronounce the vowel more fronted (or centralized, I can't really tell which) but it is definitely not /dud/.
Travis   Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:48 am GMT
I myself pronounce "dude" as [ˈdʲʉ̯uːd̥], but I do not have general fronting of /u/ but only allophonic diphthongization as a rising central or front-to-back diphthong after coronals (which affects all mid and high back vowels in my dialect). Likewise, my [dʲ] reflects not /dj/ but rather allophonic palatalization of coronals.