easy-to-read French authors

osterhout   Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:59 pm GMT
Any suggestions out there for authors (especially novelists) who have a style thats easy to read for relative beginners? Simenon maybe? I'm not ready for heavyweight literature yet.
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:18 pm GMT
Long ago, I recall reading "The Stranger" in French class. I forget who wrote it, but it was pretty easy. Unfortunately, it was also incredibly boring. One of the high points I remember was something about this dog covered with scabs.
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:02 pm GMT
Marcel Proust
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:14 pm GMT
French sucks ok
Colette   Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:00 pm GMT
Le Petit Prince

L'Etranger

L'Amant
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:01 pm GMT
Hi Colette, we missed you.
Colette   Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:06 pm GMT
<<Long ago, I recall reading "The Stranger" in French class. I forget who wrote it, but it was pretty easy.>>

C'etait Albert Camus.

<<Hi Colette, we missed you.>>

Merci beaucoup. :) Je dois venir ici de temps en temps... Au fait, je n'ais pas mes accents aujourd'hui...
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:51 pm GMT
Georges Simenon is a very good choice.
No "arty" writing, no frills, but a clinical precision of style, and never any ambiguity.
Colette   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:21 pm GMT
Peut-etre Michel Houellebecq aussi?
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:25 pm GMT
Colette, how's the website going? Hahahahhahaha!
Colette d'Allemagne   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:58 pm GMT
<<Colette, how's the website going? Hahahahhahaha!>>

How's your pathetic Hispanic troll existence going? Bashing the French? Slow day? I've been busy -- got a new German-speaking boyfriend. :)
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:03 am GMT
<<German-speaking boyfriend.>>

Be sure to check for Germs on his member (if he has one) before he penetrates you through.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:31 am GMT
About the only thing that we had to read in French that was halfway decent was "Candide", by Voltaire (I think). IIRC, it wasn't too difficult, and could pack a lot of action into a few paragraphs (e.g. the main characters could get kidnapped, sold into slavery, become galley slaves, get shipwrecked, escape, and then be elected Pope, all in a page or two). The book was very short, and not boring at all.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:27 am GMT
L'Amant

Sad book about an sexually obsessed stalker and an underage French girl. in Indochine, I think. They try to pretty it up, but that's what it is.
K. T.   Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:53 am GMT
In the dust
they fall in lust,
until the two get bust...ed.
He marries a Chinese girl,
She gives her pen a twirl,
Her family bein' so a cuss...ed.

(My redneck memory of the movie in bad rhyme)

Back to the topic:

Why not try to find a book on a subject that interests you? Look up words related to your interests/hobbies on Word Reference and see if there are some books in French on your topic on Amazon.