"crap"

Fred   Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:59 pm GMT
Is this a curse word? I said it the other day ago, and someone complained at me for cursing.
Skippy   Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:33 pm GMT
It's not a polite term, so you may wanna watch who you say it around, but I wouldn't call it a curse word per se.
Lazar   Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:38 pm GMT
Like "dumbass", I would consider it vulgar but not a swear word.
Travis   Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:54 pm GMT
Yeah, it is considered to be a bit vulgar but is not considered to be that strong at all by most. It's like saying that something "sucks" in that regard.
Skippy   Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:39 pm GMT
It's definitely not a curse word, and "dumbass" definitely is.
guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:34 pm GMT
<<It's not a polite term, so you may wanna watch who you say it around, but I wouldn't call it a curse word per se. >>

"crap" is not a bad word. It's the concept of the word (defecation, shit) that tends to put one off, and how it's used (oh Crap! = Oh Shit/Dammit!).
guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:35 pm GMT
...conti.

<<"crap" is not a bad word. It's the concept of the word (defecation, shit) that tends to put one off, and how it's used (oh Crap! = Oh Shit/Dammit!). >>

at its worst it's impolite
Lazar   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:56 pm GMT
<<It's definitely not a curse word, and "dumbass" definitely is.>>

We've gone through this before: neither "(jack)ass" nor "dumbass" is a swear word. I'll concede that some people out there might have some notion that it's a swear word, but for you to say "definitely" there would have to be universal agreement, which there is not.
guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:03 pm GMT
<<We've gone through this before: neither "(jack)ass" nor "dumbass" is a swear word.>>

Okay, go into work tomorrow (if you work) and call your boss a "Dumbass" and see what he thinks...
Lazar   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:16 pm GMT
I'd get much the same reaction if I called him any of a host of other things that are not swear words.
Ed   Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:02 am GMT
Crap is in a gray area between swear words and non swear words. I consider it a little more vulgar than sucks. Just don't use it in mixed company.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:43 am GMT
It's not that it's a swear word, it's just not the kind of word you should use in polite company. You COULD talk about 'penises', 'vaginas', 'faeces', 'anal probing', 'defecation', 'cannibalism' etc with your colleagues and you wouldn't be 'swearing', but some people might not particulary care to engage in such conversation so it's better to stay away from such topics.
Russconha   Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:25 am GMT
Whereas 'bullcrap' is a polite way of saying 'bullshit'.

It completely depends on the company your are in.