English tense question

Skippy   Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:36 pm GMT
"They didn't say that."

In my German class we actually debated how "didn't say" should be translated into German; should it be the simple past or the past perfect?

In other words, is "didn't" simply a conjugated negative in the simple past, or is it a modal on which all the tense/conjugations falls?

Thanks guys...
Travis   Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:43 pm GMT
I would say that it is the simple past; mind you that "doesn't say" is habitual/potential aspect and not present tense, and that the normal present tense form of such would be "isn't saying".
guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:32 pm GMT
"They didn't say that" = "Sie haben das nicht gesagt", not "Sie sagten das nicht", in most situations so it's not an apples to apples comparison: Germans more often than nought use the past perfect where we normally use simple past
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:19 pm GMT
I agree with above poster except that "Sie haben das nicht gesagt" is not past perfect, it is present perfect. Past perfect would be "Sie hatten das nicht gesagt".
guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:43 pm GMT
<<I agree with above poster except that "Sie haben das nicht gesagt" is not past perfect, it is present perfect. Past perfect would be "Sie hatten das nicht gesagt". >>

That's what I thought too, but I dodn't want to confuse the original poster, who used "Past Perfect" ; )

I knew what he/she meant though