El Papa habla español en su visita a EEUU

Adolfo   Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:10 pm GMT
Un detalle hacia los hispanos

Benedicto XVI fue recibido a su llegada al estadio por el arzobispo de Washington, Donald William Wuerl, el alcalde de la ciudad, Adrian M. Fenty, y el propietario del estadio, Theodore Lerner. Miles de personas le esperaban a los alrededores del estadio, por lo que el sumo pontífice dio una vuelta lentamente dentro del 'papamóvil' para poder saludarlos.

La misa se celebró mayoritariamente en inglés, pero una de las lecturas fue en español, así como una parte de la homilía del Santo Padre, en deferencia a la comunidad hispana, que representa al menos un tercio de los católicos estadounidenses. A la hora de las plegarias, miembros de diversas nacionalidades utilizaron también sus lenguas maternas, una pluralidad lingüística que también reflejaron los cantos de los coros.

Jesse Mora, un joven de origen familiar mexicano, forma parte de esta nueva hornada de católicos estadounidenses hispanos presentes en el acto. "Ha sido una misa muy emocionante y bonita", explica Jesse, que ha apreciado especialmente el detalle del Papa a la hora de utilizar el español. "Ha sido todo un guiño a nuestra comunidad, y muchos hispanos han empezado a gritar espontáneamente '¡Viva el Papa!'", cuenta el joven, a quien ha sorprendido que Benedicto hablara "mejor el español que el inglés".

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2008/04/17/internacional/1208444554.html
K. T.   Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:29 pm GMT
"a quien ha sorprendido que Benedicto hablara "mejor el español que el inglés"."-Adolfo

I had the same impression.

Recently, I listened to the Pope speak in several languages. I noticed that he sounded better in Spanish than in English.
I was rather surprised. I could understand his French, German, Spanish and Italian with no real problem, but his English was not as easy to understand. I think he also spoke in Polish (it was a mass for JPII, I think), which was also a little surprise.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:12 pm GMT
Well, that is really usual. The Pope speak in the two most spoken languages of the country: here, English and Spanisn.

Spanish is spoken officially by 45 million of speakers. You need to add 10-12 million of illegal Hispanics, and Puerto Rico (4 million of Hispanics) because is an Associated State.

So, the number of Hispanics living in USA (& Puerto Rico) is some 61 million people.

At the same time, there are 6 million of students of Spanish in the country. The number of speakers of the language is 67 million people. Perhaps 7 of them speak only a basic Spanish, but THERE ARE 60 MILLION THAT SPEAK SPANISH IN USA, in a country of 300. That is a 20% of the population.
K. T.   Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:47 am GMT
That quote was from Jesse Mora.

I know a lot of people study Spanish, but I don't know how many can produce the language on demand.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:09 am GMT
<<At the same time, there are 6 million of students of Spanish in the country.>>

Almost none of them speak any spanish. Everybody in the U.S, has to complete a foreign language requirement for school, but very few people ever acheive any level of fluency.

Spanish in the U.S, is strictly an immigrant language.
K. T.   Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:42 am GMT
"foreign language requirement for school" I've never heard this before. It was optional for me. I'm trying to think of people who graduated recently. I'll have to check my State.
Domine   Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:15 am GMT
In Californian Highschools foreign languages are optional, however, are strongely encouraged to take them as a requirement for a University entry - so I would say YES.

">Spanish in the U.S, is strictly an immigrant language.<"

An immigrant language to the average ignoramus like you. Spanish, French and Native-American tongues are not immigrant tongues but are a part of the U.S. make-up. Nowadays, one could say it is due to the influx of latinos, however, that still does not justify naming it an immigrant language for that sole one-sided view.
Rolando   Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:05 am GMT
What a stupid thing to say, Spanish is an immigrant language, Then Afrikans is a "Black Language" Idiot!!!
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:20 am GMT
<<An immigrant language to the average ignoramus like you.>>

I don't understand why you're so offended by this statement. Its a fact. For the most part, only hispanic immigrants, and their children (first generation americans) speak any spanish. It isnt sustained beyond that.

Spanish serves no other purpose in the U.S, except as the language spoken by recent immigrant communities.

<<Spanish, French.. tongues are not immigrant tongues but are a part of the U.S.>>

French? Are you serious?! There are NO french speakers in U.S save for a few remaining elderly native speakers in some back-water swamps in Louisianna, and a handfull of French-Canadian immigrants in New England. French is a DEAD language in the U.S; its been wiped out.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:30 am GMT
<<What a stupid thing to say, Spanish is an immigrant language, Then Afrikans is a "Black Language" Idiot!!!>>

Spanish IS an immigrant language in the U.S..... FACT. Its only sustainted by recent immigrants.

Its not comparable at all, to what Afrikaans is in South Africa.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:13 am GMT
Spanish in the U.S, is strictly an immigrant language

The Constitution of New Mexico refers to the Spanish language several times and encourages its protection. You are a bad US citizen if you don't respect your own laws.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:59 am GMT
Why do so many Spanish speakers immigrate to the U.S. while only a few English speakers go to Mexico or South America (and if they do, it is mostly not in order to work in low jobs)?
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:41 pm GMT
Why many US migrants colonized Texas when it was part of Mexico?
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:44 pm GMT
Why do so many Spanish speakers immigrate to the U.S. while only a few English speakers go to Mexico or South America (and if they do, it is mostly not in order to work in low jobs)?

For the same reason many German, Italian and English speakers migrated to US centuries ago.
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:50 am GMT
God bless the Holy Pope.