Eminem's accent

Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:32 am GMT
Those skater kids have all grown up now and they still use the word 'awesome' except now they are just normal blokes. Get over it. Words go in and out of use, and apparently, lots of people like that word.

Old people...
Jasper   Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:52 am GMT
<<Those skater kids have all grown up now and they still use the word 'awesome' except now they are just normal blokes. Get over it. Words go in and out of use, and apparently, lots of people like that word. >>

Lots of people like the words "sh*t", "goddamn", "f**k", and "n***ger", too, but that doesn't make them any more pleasant for gentlefolk to hear.

I'm not suggesting "awesome" is as bad as these words, merely that an error of logic has been made.
Jasper   Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:55 am GMT
KT, the definition of "snert" I'd always heard on AOL was "snot-nosed, egotistical, rude teenager"....

It's not quite the same as an online troll, by the way.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:08 am GMT
<<Lots of people like the words "sh*t", "goddamn", "f**k", and "n***ger", too, but that doesn't make them any more pleasant for gentlefolk to hear.

I'm not suggesting "awesome" is as bad as these words, merely that an error of logic has been made.>>

What logical error? Those words you mentioned have nothing inherently wrong with them and many people do use them, which they have the right to do. The only thing that gives them power is the "gentlefolk"'s feeling towards them. If they could just get over it, there wouldn't be any problem.
Girl Mary   Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:40 am GMT
I confess to using "awesome," but now I feel a generational reaction similar to yours when my 8-year-old says "sweeeeet." I cringe each time, and request that he not use it around Mommy. haha
Jasper   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:38 pm GMT
<<Those words you mentioned have nothing inherently wrong with them and many people do use them, which they have the right to do.>>

Am I perceiving this correctly? Are you asserting that people have the right to say what they want to say, without any regard to the other person's feelings?

If you are, I must admit--that's the most selfish thing I've ever heard anybody say.
Skippy   Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:26 am GMT
I hope you're joking, Jasper. In almost every developed country you have the right to say just about anything you want as long as you're not inciting people to violence. It may not be nice or PC, but that's every individual's right to decide; it's not to be dictated by the government or anything...
Jasper   Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:56 am GMT
Skippy, I'm not talking about "legal" rights--I'm referring to what's morally or ethically right; there's a huge difference.

If the Guest thinks he can go through life saying whatever he wants, without regard to others' feelings--from a psychological point of view, he's going to have a very hard life.
K. T.   Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:41 am GMT
People can say what they want, but they may suffer consequences. Americans have guns, you know. Say something rude and stupid and someone may shoot you. Work in an emergency room/dept.-you'll see plenty of consequences from poorly chosen words coupled with hot tempers.
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:09 am GMT
I LOVE FREEDOM! FREEDOM FROM OPPRESSION! COME TO AMERICA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFOG86xApIs
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:24 am GMT
The accent of a nauseously hate mongering rapper? Who really and truly cares that much, or has a nano-second of precious time to spare to give it a moment's thought?

Anyway, the USA is not the only country where the dividing line between the rights to an up front, honest, democratic freedom of speech and opinion and truly destructive, harmful and deeply offensive language is a very blurred one most of the time. The sign of a civilised society is to know the difference between constructive opinion and destructive rhetoric.
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:41 am GMT
God, people like Damian... Why do people come and push their opinions around like anyone actually cares? There is not one other comment in all the whole three pages of this thread mentioning his actual music. He has a TYPICAL accent for someone of his social class and there are probably millions who talk like him, so clearly it's a good idea to pick him as a well known example... So yes, there are a lot of reasons why someone would care. And yes, many people have many nano-seconds to spare thinking about it. And no, no one does or ever will care about what you think is the 'sign of civilised society'. No president will ever come knocking on your door for an opinion. By the way, I bet you have never even listened to eminem, and are one of those soccer mums who goes off about anything in complete ignorance. I admit that Eminem is (or was at the beginning) often more than controversial, but his mainstream songs are no more hate mongering than any others. Just remeber, Eminem will always be much more influential in society than you ever will be.
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:59 am GMT
Who is Eminem?
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:35 pm GMT
I like Dido's Valley Girl accent on ''Stan''
Russconha   Thu May 01, 2008 1:49 am GMT
I prefer Damian to Eminem.