yugara hang in nair

Guest   Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:21 pm GMT
why do natives say "you gotta hang in there" as yugara hang in nare (nair)???????????/
Guest   Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:36 pm GMT
***PLEEAZE PEOPLE***
get it RIGHT

we say: yugahta heing in-[d]are
Guest   Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:10 pm GMT
it's not yugahta but it's yugara
Guest   Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:13 pm GMT
Yeah I heard yugara too.
Travis   Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:17 pm GMT
What you write as "yugara hang in nare" is generally really something like [ˈjuː(v)ˈgɑːɾəˈhẽɪ̯̃ŋˈɪ̃ˈn̪ːɛːɹ]. This occurs just because of the tapping of intervocalic /t/ before unstressed vowels and words starting with vowels and the assimilation of word-initial /ð/ to preceding nasals, which are normal parts of North American English as a whole.
Guest   Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:06 pm GMT
"yugara", maybe, but "nare"??
Travis   Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:11 pm GMT
Yes, [ˈn̪ɛːɹ]; that is actually the normal pronunciation of "there" after a word ending in a nasal in most of English-speaking North America.
guest   Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:23 pm GMT
what about "yugada" then...

I can see it being an 'r' only the way certain languages pronounce their 'r's, but still it's only a vague approximation, not a true equivalent
Travis   Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:26 pm GMT
>>I can see it being an 'r' only the way certain languages pronounce their 'r's, but still it's only a vague approximation, not a true equivalent<<

That is definitely true; such has only been used as a rhotic in some very conservative and formal sorts of English English. Hearing NAE tapped /d/ as being /r/ is really primarily a feature of non-native perceptions of NAE more than anything else.
Travis   Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:38 pm GMT
>>Which is why we use IPA or X-SAMPA, rather than "faux-netics".<<

And a lot of very fine phonetic details that really cannot be expressed through "faux-netics" can be expressed through IPA or X-SAMPA. Take [n̪] for instance - it is at least here perceived as an allophone of not /n/ but rather /ð/ when it falls at the start of a word. However, through "faux-netics" you can only write such as "n", which completely hides the distinction between [n̪] and [n].