What is the purpose of grammatical gender??

Phil   Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:12 am GMT
I have always thought that the practice of arbitrarily assigning inanimate objects a gender, and the associated grammar that comes with it (i.e declension, and gender agreement), is a tedious exercize, with no real purpose.

I was talking to a German friend of mine, who told me, that learning English was strange for him because we lack articles needed to show gender. He found it perplexing. I asked him why an object needs to have a gender in the first place. He couldn't answer.

Why does one need to communicate the arbitrarily chosen gender of a chair, or a television, or a box? What purpose does it serve, towards effective communication? Lots of languages obviously find this to be very important (even though none of them agree on what gender a noun is), since they have complex ways to make sure that the gender of everything is stated. If they go through all that trouble, there must be some necessity behind it....is there?

To me, its all superflous grammar.....a chair is just a chair.
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:17 am GMT
I suppose it might make some sense to have logical gender or noun classes based on (for example):

- God
- supernatural objects and Phenomena
- humans
- animals
- plants (and other living/semi-living things)
- mobile, changeable and etherial (but concrete) things
- unchanging things
- abstract ideas
- none of the above

However, it's not clear what good having masculine and feminine ifor everything is.
Skippy   Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:42 am GMT
Masculine/Feminine are arbitrary names for noun classes. Grammatical gender is typically referred to as 'noun classes' to avoid the confusion of assuming that, for example, there is some reason that "fork" is feminine in German, while "knife" is neuter, and "spoon" is masculine.

To answer your original question, there's no real purpose for it as languages like Hungarian do just fine without grammatical gender; it's simply how certain languages have evolved.
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:44 am GMT
It does have some usefulness when it comes to communicating the natural gender of humans and animals.

For example. If I tell somebody " I just bought a puppy.", they then have to ask me "Is it a boy or a girl?", if they want to know that.

For everything else though, gender is meaningless....like you said, a chair is just a chair.
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:57 am GMT
It's hard to hide one's sexual preference with a gender language.

"Where were you?"
"Having sex with a friend"

"¿Dónde has estado?"
"Follando a un/a amigo/a"

You have to make it clear in the second language. So you could have to touch on an uncomfortable topic.
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:53 am GMT
LOL. That was a joke, right?
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:51 am GMT
Por qué polla tiene género femenino y en cambio coño es masculino?
greg   Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:53 am GMT
'Guest' : « It's hard to hide one's sexual preference with a gender language.
"Where were you?"
"Having sex with a friend"
"¿Dónde has estado?"
"Follando a un/a amigo/a"
You have to make it clear in the second language. So you could have to touch on an uncomfortable topic. »

Le comique de cette remarque n'est pas stratosphérique : il tient à l'incapacité ou la réticence de son auteur à montrer que la parole ne tombe pas dans les pièges subtils que tendent les contraintes linguistiques. Pour rester dans le registre de 'Guest', on voit qu'il cherche à faire rentrer un bateau miniature (le message véhiculé) dans une bouteille de verre (le genre grammatical) alors que la réalité est évidemment différente. Si quelqu'un souhaite taire l'identité et/ou l'orientation sexuelle de son partenaire, il éludera les éléments linguistiques qui pourraient la (les) trahir en utilisant la formulation idoine. Il suffit, par exemple, d'élider le groupe prépositionnel, tout simplement.

Phil : « I was talking to a German friend of mine, who told me, that learning English was strange for him because we lack articles needed to show gender. He found it perplexing. »

Ton ami allemand a raison et il aurait même pu ajouter que non seulement l'article anglais ne peut véhiculer le genre mais qu'en outre la grande majorité des substantifs (mais non pas tous : <amorosa>, <empress>, <executrix>, <goddess>, <sewster>, <singster>, <sultana>, <tsarina> etc) est également dépourvue de cette capacité. Il est vrai que pour un francophone, lire ou entendre An <dancer> laisse sur sa faim car en français <danseur> implique *<danseuse> et vice-versa, du moins quand il s'agit d'un être particulier et non d'une catégorie abstraite regroupant les (des) individus s'adonnant à la danse.

Au genre, il aurait également pu ajouter le nombre. Les adjectifs anglais étant invariables non seulement en genre mais aussi en nombre, à l'instar des articles, un énoncé du type <[...] to the rich> pourra, à tort, être interprété par un non-anglophone comme étant le symétrique de *<[...] to the riches>. Autrement dit, alors que <[...] to the rich> sera nécessairement reconnu comme un pluriel par un anglophone maternel, le singulier étant <[...] to the rich one>, un non-anglophone a toutes les chances d'opposer <[...] to the rich> vs *<[...] to the riches>, se forgeant ainsi une alternative de nombre non-maternelle, et donc fautive (puisque An <riches> = Fr <richesses> est un substantif et non un adjectif substantivé, au contraire de An <the rich>).

On en revient donc à l'exemple du premier 'Guest'. Là où un locuteur d'une langue, pourvue du marquage du genre grammatical (articles, substantifs, adjectifs etc), et désireux de rendre An <having sex with a friend> sans communiquer sur le sexe ou l'orientation sexuelle, utilisera (par exemple) la troncation du groupe prépositionnel <with a friend>, l'anglophone a recours à l'adjonction de <one> pour préciser et marquer le nombre singulier dans <[...] to the rich one>. Les deux opérations sont symétriques.

Phil : « Why does one need to communicate the arbitrarily chosen gender of a chair, or a television, or a box? »

Autre question : pourquoi prononces-tu /aɪ̯/ la lettre <y> dans An <why> alors que sa pronciation est /i/ en français et /y/ en allemand ? Tu vois bien que ta communication dépend d'un fait totalement arbitraire, incohérent et que tu n'as pas choisi. Poser la seconde question c'est répondre à la première...

Phil : « If they go through all that trouble, there must be some necessity behind it....is there? ».

Mais pourquoi terminer ta phrase par <is there ?> alors que <no ?> suffirait amplement. Il doit bien y avoir quelque nécessité là-dessous, non ?

Phil : « To me, its all superflous grammar.....a chair is just a chair. »

Tu vois, l'omission de l'apostrophe intercalaire ne m'a pas empêché de comprendre {it's} là où *<its> était écrit. Le problème ne serait pas posé à l'oral puisque <it's> & <its> sont homophones. Mais alors, pourquoi créer pour l'écrit un problème inexistant à l'oral ? C'est un peu le même genre (si j'ose dire) de question que tu te poses avec le genre grammatical : c'est avant tout affaire de convention dans un système linguistique donné. Le genre grammatical t'apparaît superflu parce que ta langue maternelle n'accorde que peu de place au *marquage* du genre grammatical. Mais il serait faux de dire que l'anglais ne possède pas de genre grammatical au simple motif que son système de marquage est très réduit : des substantifs tels que <car>, <house> & <table> sont tous des neutres grammaticaux (non-marqués) → ils sont tous repris par <it>.
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:29 am GMT
>>Lots of languages obviously find this to be very important (even though none of them agree on what gender a noun is), since they have complex ways to make sure that the gender of everything is stated<<

German doesn't always manage to indicate what gender a noun is. The form of the indefinite article in the nominitive case is the same for neuter and masculine i.e. ein Haus (Neuter), ein Tisch (masculine). However if you added an adjective, the gender would then be shown i.e. ein neues Haus and ein neuer Tisch.
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:47 am GMT
<<Le comique de cette remarque n'est pas stratosphérique : il tient à l'incapacité ou la réticence de son auteur à montrer que la parole ne tombe pas dans les pièges subtils que tendent les contraintes linguistiques. Pour rester dans le registre de 'Guest', on voit qu'il cherche à faire rentrer un bateau miniature (le message véhiculé) dans une bouteille de verre (le genre grammatical) alors que la réalité est évidemment différente. Si quelqu'un souhaite taire l'identité et/ou l'orientation sexuelle de son partenaire, il éludera les éléments linguistiques qui pourraient la (les) trahir en utilisant la formulation idoine. Il suffit, par exemple, d'élider le groupe prépositionnel, tout simplement.>>

There is no way to avoid giving it away in Spanish.

You could say "follando a una persona" but that's obviously being evasive.
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:03 pm GMT
With gender you can know if the doctor is a man or a women.

Doctora
Doctor

Profesora
Profesor
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:10 pm GMT
Curious how family name change in slavic languages:

Popov - Popova/Popovski - Popovskaia
Xie   Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:06 pm GMT
It just happens to be a prominent, seemingly redundant grammatical feature. But I'd say its arbitrariness is about the same as any writing systems, any phonological system and, ultimately, any word of any language - where Esperanto is no exception. Even the most basic ideographs of Chinese, which are still perfectly recognizable for the absolute beginners, are so arbitrarily formed that you can't connect them to anything natural. Human languages are all like that and that's the fun of it.
zatsu   Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:03 pm GMT
On the contrary, grammatical genders are NOT arbitrary.

As for inanimate objects, and in Portuguese, most of them are assigned by the constituent material like "table" (a mesa) is feminine because of wood (a madeira) or tree (a árvore).

In the case you're wondering, "tree" is feminine because it bears fruit and also because they're tall and wide, unlike "shrubs" (masculine, o arbusto). Therefore "lake" (masculine, o lago) is smaller than a "lagoon" (feminine, a lagoa), the "woods" (masculine, o bosque) are smaller than a "forest" (feminine, a floresta), or a type of boot (masculine, o botim) smaller than the regular "boot" (feminine, a bota).
Of course there are many exceptions to these, and many other cases, but I won't explain them now.

Just to mention a different example, usually a country's gender (unless it's connected to a noun or adjective) is assigned by morphology: Spain (feminine, a Espanha), Mexico (masculine, o México), Australia (feminine, a Austrália), Japan (masculine, o Japão)...
Some countries are genderless, like Portugal, Mozambique or Cape Verde.
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:08 pm GMT
Yes, yes. But, in other languages gram. genders are tot'ly different! ALL IN ALL, it makes no sense.