la suerte de la fea ...

Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:19 pm GMT
Can you translate these sayings into your language?
Joya en una fea, la adorna pero no la hermosea
La suerte de la fea, la guapa la desea
K. T.   Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:39 pm GMT
This is tricky. This reminds me of the saying in English- "You can put lipstick on a pig, but she/it is still a pig." However, the second part wouldn't work. "The luck of the ugly girl is what the good-looking girl wants."

You can put a jewel on an ugly girl, but it won't make her beautiful.
The luck of the ugly girl is what the pretty girl wants.

A jewel on the ugly, won't make her lovely,
but the lovely girl still wants her luck.

What do you think? I've never heard this before. Does it have a different meaning?
K. T.   Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:11 pm GMT
Oh wait, are these separate sayings? I couldn't tell because of the punctuation and because they rhyme. Sorry, about that.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:47 am GMT
La suerte de la fea la bonita la desea.

There's a saying in Spanish that states that ugly Women always have dozens of men chasing them (for a variety of reasons, they could be easy, nymphomaniacs, or Man eaters, etc) while pretty Women are lonely (for a various or reasons too, they could be very shy, "nice", well educated etc).
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:52 am GMT
I understand that. Guys are afraid of pretty girls in English-speaking countries too, afraid that they will turn them down, afraid that they will be difficult to maintain, that they'll be rude and snobbish.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:56 am GMT
This reminds me of Ugly Betty, but I've never seen the show.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:07 am GMT
Uh, I know you're trying to be funny, but I wouldn't recommend that if you ever plan to settle down and get married.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:45 pm GMT
Good girls go to heaven, but bad girls go everywhere.

This is said in English.