Is it correct to call oneself a "US American"?

Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:53 am GMT
According to the dictionary:

American def:

A person from the USA
A person from the Americas
Xie   Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:31 am GMT
Btw, how do you think when people call American English as simply American? It seems to be as convenient as to call the country my passport is associated with, namely the PRC, as just China, while it doesn't represent everything at all...
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:02 am GMT
No one calls it American. It just sounds wrong. Sometimes it is used jokingly and if you say it seriously you will get a 'lol' reaction.
US citizen   Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:06 pm GMT
<<But is "US American" gramatically correct? >>

Why wouldn't it be gramatically correct. Similar to "US Government", "US Forest Service", "US citizen", etc.
Skippy   Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:07 pm GMT
US American, I suppose, is grammatically correct i.e. there's nothing grammatically wrong with it, but contextually it's redundant.
wintereis   Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:35 pm GMT
blah, blah, balh. There is no way in hell I'm going to call my self anything but an American. That is not going to change.
Russconha   Thu May 01, 2008 1:59 am GMT
In Brazil, they call you United States Americans, as they consider themselves American also, albeit South American.

I guess the people of Miami are now more American in this sense, what with the high Latin population.
US American   Thu May 01, 2008 3:42 am GMT
<<In Brazil, they call you United States Americans>>

So, it looks like we've concluded that US American is OK (but not mandatory).
Skippy   Thu May 01, 2008 4:03 am GMT
If someone called me a "US American" I would assume they were trying to make a political statement and were being purposefully abrasive. You're better off calling us "Americans." "US American" is GRAMMATICALLY correct, but if there are Americans around, you'd be wise to refer to them simply as Americans, not US Americans.
United Statian   Thu May 01, 2008 4:19 am GMT
<<If someone called me a "US American" I would assume they were trying to make a political statement and were being purposefully abrasive>>

It could also be an attempt to poke a bit of fun at political correctness.
Russconha   Thu May 01, 2008 5:15 am GMT
<There is no way in hell I'm going to call my self anything but an American>

There are names for people like you!
Ed   Fri May 02, 2008 1:05 pm GMT
"In Brazil, they call you United States Americans"

IN ENGLISH, American is the term used for United States citizens. The literal translations of other languages' terms is irrelevant.
Skippy   Fri May 02, 2008 1:32 pm GMT
In Poland, Germany, England, etc. people from the US are "Americans."
Xie   Fri May 02, 2008 3:16 pm GMT
In China, you are United States people (ah, yes, United Statians!!), but don't make it American people, because no one calls him/herself as a beauty.
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 4:02 pm GMT
lol, Xie how do you say United Statian in Chinese?