Which city is leading the fashion of English accent?

Travis   Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:10 pm GMT
The thing is that none of those cities seem to really have a leading position with respect to cultural influence here. However, though, it seems that of all of those, New York City is probably given the most respect here as a whole. But even then, it is not really consciously seen as something to emulate, and much of that associated with the general population of NYC is actually made fun of to varying degrees here (such as the dialect and the stereotypes of people from NYC itself).

Of course, the only really major outside city that seems to matter here is Chicago. Even then, though, the view of Chicago here is rather mixed, as Chicago and people from there are just as often derided here, and Chicago itself is not seen as something to emulate even if it is seen as the city of the greatest significance in the region. Actually, I would have to say that here in Wisconsin the only real city that is really consciously seen as being culturally influential here is the state capital of Madison; while it is a smaller city than Milwaukee, it is seen as being far more culturally progressive and worth emulating than Milwaukee itself.
Jasper   Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:26 pm GMT
Travis, I agree.

Even across the plains and Rockies, Madison is seen as a city of higher learning, while Milwaukee seems to be more associated with beer and sports.
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 2:07 am GMT
<Los Angeles is the center of the American entertainment industry (and therefore, some would argue, the world)>

Some would be short sighted, inward looking and wrong
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 11:06 am GMT
''I have noticed that Southern girls are starting to talk more like Californians and teenagers in general sound more western, at least.''

This is so true.
Well, Cali accent is used even in Chicago-set sitcoms (like Married with Children), and Great Lakes accent appears only once in a blue moon (and then it does appear: they advertise it as a sensation: -Meg Ryan puts on a Detroit accent in the movie ''Against the Ropes'' -)

I don't hear many Americans pronouncing block in a Detroit/Chicago way, as
''black'' that is, but many nonCalifornian Americans are starting to pronounce MOM as /mQm/ (well the most famous example is Roseanne Barr, originally from SLC).