Multilinguals/Polyglots/Linguists/Bilinguals

K. T.   Sun May 25, 2008 8:26 pm GMT
Perhaps I'll look into this. Thank-you.
Xie   Mon May 26, 2008 1:32 am GMT
>>According to my book check I have stuff for learning 18 languages and most of the material has tapes of CDs...
可是我没有时间学习那么多言語!
再見!

Little reminder: 言語 is "words" or "Worte" or "speech" or "what you say", but 語言 must be "language". This is impressive, though. Last time I saw a whole large chunk here, I could only think that guy (was that you?) was from Tianjin or somewhere near it (since he recited vocab, precisely). I couldn't possibly think how it could/might/should be to learn ideograms while always sticking on pinyin (I didn't, and still can't), but definitely it could be something like, as I wrote, learning chunks, which is wonderful, like for a little boy who has to finish his homework with little ideograms before playing baseball. :)

I think I have more resources in the e-form, thanks to p2p... no, actually I think Pimsleur is darn boring and too little for very serious learners. I used it somehow, but I could never concentrate because it switched over English and the foreign language too frequently. I'm always curious and I listen to audios teaching my languages sometimes, but many are just too darn boring... they're only for people who think Chinese has to be written in 下右上左, instead of 左上右下, like drawing a circle for 口 anti-clockwise. I think, instead, I'm a die-hard fan of any comprehensive courses that let me learn a language in chunks.

I still haven't finished an FSI course, but most probably 1) a huge course like FSI Spanish (people say it's classic), 2) a part-time course like Assimil French (German isn't as good), and even 3) a literally "chunky" source of materials, not even a course itself, such as Chinesepod (which I recommend to fake natives like me and foreigners like you alike!) are in the grand league of the best designs for any language. Those NOT in any of these classic formats aren't that bad, but they often need substantial editing...

Theoretically, there are no unlearnables, but I think phrasebooks (like Teach Yourself nowadays, what a shame) are better separated from the rest... they are literally books, not courses.
J.C.   Sat May 31, 2008 1:28 am GMT
[言語 is "words" or "Worte" or "speech" or "what you say", but 語言 must be "language".]
Xie先生:Thank you for the correction. Could words also be said 生词?
Actually I wanted to write 语言 but forgot the pinyin I wrote the same word using Japanese to do it...

"This is impressive, though. Last time I saw a whole large chunk here, I could only think that guy (was that you?) was from Tianjin or somewhere near it (since he recited vocab, precisely). I couldn't possibly think how it could/might/should be to learn ideograms while always sticking on pinyin (I didn't, and still can't)"
Actually I don't know pinyin very well and always depend on the ideogram to compensate my messed up pronunciation!!! :)
发音不好的时候我写汉字把!

再见!