why do so many ppl in western culture say "thank you&qu

Travis   Mon May 05, 2008 1:32 am GMT
>>I think that the Continentals have it easy - neither party apologises most of the time, anyway. :-) And in Germany, especially, along with a fair few other Continental countries, if not all, queues as we know them here are virtually unknown (or "standing in line" as the Americans say) and it's simply a case of pushing and shoving to the front, so it's pretty much a case of the survival of the fittest across the Channel I reckon. :-)<<

It seems almost strange to me that the Germans of all people wouldn't make lines...
Rene   Mon May 05, 2008 2:22 am GMT
Jerry Seinfield did a really funny bit about this on one of his shows. He was talking about people who mumble. He says something along the lines of, "Why do we have to apologise for not being able to hear them? Of course we can't hear them: they're whispering. Don't you wish that instead of saying 'sorry?', we could just say, 'nope, not loud enough?'"
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon May 05, 2008 8:08 am GMT
***It seems almost strange to me that the Germans of all people wouldn't make lines...***

Travis: Well, that's what I thought too before I first went to Germany, but it's true. There is not the same sort of orderliness there as there is here in the UK when it comes to queuing, standing in line waiting for your turn, type of thing.

True enough they form a line as they wait for whatever it is they're waiting for, but when the time comes for action they all make a mad scramble to the front and the first to get to the front gets served first.

Have you ever been to Germany? In fact, have you ever been to Europe? if not, come over and see for yourself. I am not making this up. Gemans are renowned for their efficiency, but they are not programmed to "wait their turn in orderly fashion" in queues/lines in quite the same way as the British generally are. It's a bit like being on holiday on the sunkissed Mediterranean beaches of Southern Europe -the Germans are always the first to rush down to the best spots on the beach in the early mornings before any other nationals have had time to down their orange juice, hot croissants and coffee! :-) They are also the second most loudly vocal of nationalities.....guess which comes first! :-)
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 8:34 am GMT
Who comes first who comes first! I must know! Please, make it be known to mankind!
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon May 05, 2008 10:06 am GMT
The strongest and the fittest, like it is in much of the animal kingdom, and the fact of the matter is that many people behave like animals, but no animal on the face of the planet is as destructive or as dangerous as the human variety of animalkind at whose hands a great many animals, human or non-human, suffer greatly in one way or another. C'est la vie.
Xie   Mon May 05, 2008 12:44 pm GMT
lol I like your sense of humor. Your vie should be fairly much as interesting as mine in the other side of the planet.
Sodoma   Mon May 05, 2008 3:09 pm GMT
you Xie, moron! Damian is gay you moron ! (and i am not joking - he said is gay) I mean he likes to suck dick and take it up his ass!!!

Are you fucking gay as well?
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 3:29 pm GMT
<<I mean he likes to suck dick and take it up his ass>>

Is it necessary to give details?
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon May 05, 2008 4:27 pm GMT
Don't worry, Guest - that ignorant poster with the very unoriginal name knows no better! Let's guess where s/he may come from....Kansas? Mississippi? (Did I spell that correctly?) Tennessee (sp?) Oklahoma (that must be right!) ...wherever it is, I hope it's thousands of miles away from here! :-)
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 6:06 pm GMT
"you Xie, moron! Damian is gay you moron ! (and i am not joking - he said is gay) I mean he likes to suck dick and take it up his ass!!!
Are you fucking gay as well?"

This is about the most intelligent post you'll ever hear from this poster, so you all might as well enjoy the moment.
SUCK my SHIT   Tue May 06, 2008 5:02 am GMT
Come on Damian- tell us how you like to suck dick! you fagot! GAYS Stink like SHIT !!! Always with shit on their dick. And their asses are so stretched - they cant control their shit - and always shit their pants!!!

SHIT SMELLY fagot!

Would you like to SUCK my SHIT ? you dirty fagot - burn in hell !
Wintereis   Tue May 06, 2008 6:57 am GMT
<<Come on Damian- tell us how you like to suck dick! you fagot! GAYS Stink like SHIT !!! Always with shit on their dick. And their asses are so stretched - they cant control their shit - and always shit their pants!!!

SHIT SMELLY fagot!

Would you like to SUCK my SHIT ? you dirty fagot - burn in hell !>>

Truly, have we not got beyond this kind of barbarism? Is this the eighteenth century? Really, an education would do you good "Suck my Shit", very mature name by the way. There wouldn't be a thing like western philosophy if it weren’t for gay people (not to mention a million other contributions). And without western philosophy, how would our governments fuck up the rest of the world like it has?

And Damian, seriously, your Anti-Americanism is as bad as Sodoma and the other jerk's heterosexism. The University of Kansas happens to have an excellent GLBT studies program. I have met with the director. I live in Wyoming, minored in gender and sexuality, worked for the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, I’m out and proud, and I’ve raised money for Women's Education in Afghanistan and AIDS orphans in Sub-Saharan Africa. Get over yourself.
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 7:06 am GMT
"you Xie, moron! Damian is gay you moron ! (and i am not joking - he said is gay) I mean he likes to suck dick and take it up his ass!!!
Are you fucking gay as well?"

He says it like it is so how is it offensive. This kind of political correctness is corroding the west. There's nothing offensive here. Damian is gay, and taking cocks up the ass and sucking them is what gays do... so what's the deal?
Cahota   Tue May 06, 2008 8:10 am GMT
"Don't worry, Guest - that ignorant poster with the very unoriginal name knows no better! Let's guess where s/he may come from....Kansas? Mississippi? (Did I spell that correctly?) Tennessee (sp?) Oklahoma (that must be right!) ...wherever it is, I hope it's thousands of miles away from here! :-) "

Honestly Damian?
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue May 06, 2008 8:58 am GMT
I apologise to the people of those American states I mentioned. I genuinely do. I really MUST stop forming opinions of places (and countries) I have never actually visited solely because I tune in to the irrational bigots on our less reputable independent broadcasting stations here in the UK (which shall remain nameless but one is particularly good on sport reporting which I love)) who seem to issue forth a tirade of anti American stuff which, after a wee bit of analysis and careful thought, can plainly be seen to be nothing but blind bigotry and, as you guys would say, trash and garbage. Unfortunately, anti-Americanism is pretty rife in the UK but you can blame your current President for about 98% of that.

Risking political hackles here now, many Brits really would like to see a black President in the White House. Then we really would be convinced that America really isn't riven with widespread racism, which is something we really does exist, but maybe we are wrong there as well!

I can't wait to get to Kansas some day...... Cheers! :-)

I promise to be great buddies with the Americans from now on...after all, we get gazillions of you guys here in my home city all the year round, practically, and we must be nice to them as many of them come back again....and some even stay on! We have a family of Americans iving in our road........they have this massive flagpole in their front garden with the US flag fluttering in the Scottish breezes.

And yes, without gay people throughout history what a dull world it would have turned out to be in so many aspects of human endeavour and achievement - not only in the arts and drama and great literary works but also, and this is what so many people are not overly happy to recognise - practically every other sphere of human activity as well, including sport and science and everything else that goes to make up the world we know today.

Here endeth the second lesson....and the sermon. Wow, I feel like a pint of Belhavens now but it's only 09:58 in the morning and I'm at work! :-)