Dialogues With & Without Translations

Geoff_One   Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:31 am GMT
To aid the learning process, language textbooks typically include many dialogues of the language being learned (target language). Some language textbooks do not provide a full translation of any of the dialogues into the base language. The base language being the language the student is familar with and the one he/she uses to learn about the target language. It seems that the idea behind not providing translations of the dialogues is that it is good for the student to make the translations for himself/herself as exercises. There are other language textbooks that typically provide full translations of half the dialogues. So, halfway through the book, it is time for the student to make the translations for himself/herself for supposedly his/her own good.

What is your opinion on this matter? Do you like translations of all the dialogues, half the dialogues, none of the dialogues or some other fraction/percentage?
Mitch   Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:17 pm GMT
I personally like having the translations for all the dialogues, and preferably in an adjoining column or facing page. Why make it difficult for the learner, especially a beginner? Input is supposed to be comprehensible, and that's pretty hard to do at the beginner level. If the student wants to try without the translation, he can skip it. And if wants to check his comprehension, he has an accurate translation for verification.
Brennus   Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:08 pm GMT
Geoff-One,

I prefer a mixed or multifaceted approach where you 1) study parallel translations in English and the foreign language and 2) just the foreign language text itself (with the occasional help aids). I do know traditionalists however who think that it should be done entirely the second way while keeping your own native language entirely out of your mind.
Tiffany   Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:32 am GMT
I am all for TWO translations to every text. The text, a translation to what it would mean in the target language and then a literal translation.

For example:

It: Non vedo l'ora!
En: I can't wait!
En (literal from It): I don't see the hour!
Gjones2   Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:11 am GMT
>I do know traditionalists however who think that it should be done entirely the second way while keeping your own native language entirely out of your mind. [Brennus]

I'm old enough to have caught the end of the time when translation was the tradition, at least here in South Carolina. :-) By the time I was in college, though, things were changing. I did some practice teaching at a school in which instruction was entirely in the second language (except for introductory administrative stuff). I did it their way at that school, but later used a mixture of methods. I quit teaching before I ever really figured out which method I liked best. (I taught for three years in a university and four years in high school.)

For mastery of speaking and listening, I agree that it's helpful to have periods in which everything is done in the second language. Having a few texts that must be figured out by the students without the help of a translation can be a good thing -- simulation of real life (but VERY few at the beginning level, unless there are many contextual clues to keep students from becoming frustrated). On the whole I really like having translations, and share Tiffany's preference for both a literal and regular translation. This is especially useful for languages that are difficult (for example, Greek or Chinese for speakers of English).

This very evening I was downloading a classical Greek philosophical text and modifying the html. I want to produce my own local copy, so I can display it in my browser with an English translation mixed into the Greek text itself. If only I had a literal translation to go along with the regular one!

There are some editions of the Greek New Testament that print the Greek with an interlinear literal translation. Then in a separate column they include a regular translation. In my opinion this is a great way to present it, and I’d like to read some classical Greek works that way too. I have library access to a good many Greek works in editions that include the English in ordinary paragraphs on the opposite page, but for persons who know little Greek, reading them is still difficult. If anybody knows of a net site that includes literal translations of classical Greek texts (preferably free) I'd appreciate hearing about it. The same goes for Chinese.
Gjones2   Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:24 am GMT
>I do know traditionalists however who think that it should be done entirely the second way while keeping your own native language entirely out of your mind. [Brennus]

I'm old enough to have caught the end of the time when translation was the tradition, at least here in South Carolina. :-) By the time I was in college, though, things were changing. I did some practice teaching at a school in which instruction was entirely in the second language (except for introductory administrative stuff). I did it their way at that school, but later used a mixture of methods. I quit teaching before I ever really figured out which method I liked best. (I taught for three years in a university and four years in high school.)

For mastery of speaking and listening, I agree that it's helpful to have periods in which everything is done in the second language. Having a few texts that must be figured out by the students without the help of a translation can be a good thing -- simulation of real life (but VERY few at the beginning level, unless there are many contextual clues to keep students from becoming frustrated). On the whole I really like having translations, and share Tiffany's preference for both a literal and regular translation. This is especially useful for languages that are difficult (for example, Greek or Chinese for speakers of English).

This very evening I was downloading a classical Greek philosophical text and modifying the html. I want to produce my own local copy, so I can display it in my browser with an English translation mixed into the Greek text itself. If only I had a literal translation to go along with the regular one!

There are some editions of the Greek New Testament that print the Greek with an interlinear literal translation. Then in a separate column they include a regular translation. In my opinion this is a great way to present it, and I’d like to read some classical Greek works that way too. I have library access to a good many Greek works in editions that include the English in ordinary paragraphs on the opposite page, but for persons who know little Greek, reading them is still difficult. If anybody knows of a net site that includes literal translations of classical Greek texts (preferably free) I'd appreciate hearing about it. The same goes for Chinese.
Gjones2   Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:26 am GMT
Sorry for the double post. I tried to go backwards, and accidentally posted again.