What this means?

Guest   Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:09 am GMT
What does this mean?

'Watch your back!'

I was walking down from my village towards a open field til I came across a car that seem to be broken down. I asked the people (tourists) if they would like me to seek assistant from me. They said yes. So I helped them push there car back on the avenue. As I helped them they said that we should buy big cars as our ones are too small. I said this would not be suitable for our small roads. The man said Your cars are useless buy American cars they are the best. I said no thankyou sir but I am happy with our cars then he said 'Watch your back, we not going to save your ass from Germans again'

I am confused and would like to know this meaning.
Damian in Scotland   Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:14 pm GMT
First and foremost, those American tourists (I assume they were American from what you say) were incredibly rude whatever the circumstances.....especially as you had offered them assistance in their plight.......I'm prepared to believe you when you said this actually happened.

Whereabouts did this take place? Obviously not in the UK otherwise you would know what the expression "watch your back" means. It simply means take care...be aware of any possible danger.

Countries with plenty of open spaces (like the USA) can afford to have huge cars...like the travelling skittle alleys called stretch limos we see trying to negotiate all the heavy traffic and narrow streets and roads in an overcrowded Britain with some of the busiest and most crowded roads in the world where space is at a premium.

If people from abroad find it difficult to cope with our "useless cars and jam packed roads" and even complain that everyone is driving on the wrong side of the road then the remedy is so very simple...just don't come here! You will no longer contribute even more to the congestion.

I hear on the radio that Prince William took over two hours to drive eight miles in London this morning......
Guest   Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:05 pm GMT
I am Greek. I live in a town which happens to be a popular tourist venue.

("watch your back" means. It simply means take care...be aware of any possible danger. )
So this means they were asking me to be caution of the streets for cars?
Candy   Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:13 pm GMT
<<("watch your back" means. It simply means take care...be aware of any possible danger. )
So this means they were asking me to be caution of the streets for cars? >>

No, it's more figurative than that - more like 'watch your back because someone might stab you in it!'. In this sense ('Watch your back, we not going to save your ass from Germans again') the guy meant 'be careful, because we won't be around to save you the next time you get into trouble' (ie, because of a German invasion!?) Some American tourists say things like this in the UK, too: 'if it hadn't been for us, you'd all be speaking German'. Best just to ignore them and remember the vast majority of Americans are not so ignorant.
Guest   Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:15 pm GMT
<("watch your back" means. It simply means take care...be aware of any possible danger. )
So this means they were asking me to be caution of the streets for cars?>

Yeah Damian is correct but it was more of a threat than a warning Greek.

I got blamed onbehalf of Australia when some Americans complained why do we drive on the wrong side of Australia. I just laughed it off (trying to hard my anger) as I said:

'Welcome to the Commonweath States of Australia, May I see your passports.'
andre in usa   Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:15 pm GMT
I'm having a hard time believing this story...

Though I suppose it COULD have happened. But most likely this person is a troll.
Guest   Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:16 pm GMT
*Forgot to add 'road'
*hid NOT HARD
Guest   Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:24 pm GMT
Of course, back door travelers are beautiful Americans overseas. But sooner or later you bump into an American who makes you want to wear a Canadian flag. This happened to me.

We made reservations for the train from Florence to Rome, but two other fellow Americans were already in our seats. My husband and another gentleman went to get a conductor to settle the issue.

The conductor arrived just as the train was leaving. We all provided our reservation cards and the conductor informed the other Americans that they should have gotten off at Florence. One of them responded that they had not yet arrived in Florence, but the conductor pointed out that we had indeed just left Florence. The gentleman spluttered, "What do you mean Firenze is Florence?" The conductor pointed to their tickets which showed Firenze as their stop.

The gentlemen then demanded that they stop the train and let them off, but this was a non-stop ES train to Rome. They even argued with the conductor that they should not have to pay a fine as Florence was not clearly stated as the stop. This train was full and they were forced to stand the entire way to Rome, roughly 2 hours.

The former occupants of our seats glared at us throughout the trip and complained loudly, "The younger generation has no respect for their elders" and hinted that we should offer our seats. (We are in our 30's. They were in their 40's.) But both my husband any I were sick with the flu and hoped to sleep on the train, and the Italian couple across from us rolled their eyes and whispered "Stupid Americans. Stay in seats". So we stayed.
Advice   Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:31 pm GMT
I am an Englishman who travels a great deal. The 'Ugly American' scenario is horribly unfair but there are two areas that can improve one's image:

1. Don't assume that you will be able to use dollars everywhere in Europe. An irritating, frequent situation occurs when you are in a queue to pay for goods at an airport shop and the guy in front hands a $100 bill to the assistant, who accepts it and gives change in local currency. So far so good, but what really anoys is when the American insists that they receive change in USA currency. Hey, come on, guys, if you haven't got local money, use plastic--Mastercard and Visa are universally accepted in airports.

2. If you rent a car in Britain, Ireland or Malta, where they drive on the lefthand side and use stick shifts, get one of the staff to give you a quick guide to the layout of the controls. It saves a lot of potentially dangerous situations.

Having said all of that, the real problem you guys face is that you are coming from the MOST developed nation on earth, thus when you travel abroad you will inevitably have to face a reduction in facilities (plumbing, transport, commerce and education to name but a few). You will also be noted by your accents and will be targeted as easy marks for a ripoff - hardly an 'Ugly American' scenario, more an 'Ugly European' one (e.g., British taxis, British pubs, Greek hotels).

One final thing: it is natural (and utterly correct) for Americans to expect equal rights for all, irrespective of gender. However, in Portugal and Turkey and many other countries in Europe you can kiss that concept goodbye as soon as you land--it's wrong, but please be aware that in some countries women are seen as inferiour to men.
Guest   Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:34 pm GMT
Because we've been devotees of Rick's philosophy of wrapping yourselves in the local ambience and of being polite, appreciative guests, all of our "Euroventures" have been happy, rewarding experiences. Yes...even in Paris. We took the time to learn basic, polite French and to research things a bit. This rewarded us greatly and helped a tiny bit to show that all Americans don't have to be "ugly."

So, in London, what a shock it was when a group of Americans in front of us in a queue were trying to pay for their lunch and kidding (loudly) about the British coins, pounds and pence and so on, and yelling that they "still don't understand all their complicated money" but added that "inventing dollars and cents" was the best thing "we" ever did for "them." It'd be different if it was funny, but everyone around just looked disgusted.
Daisy   Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:39 pm GMT
I went to the Disneylandish World Expo in Hannover and found the young teenagers were more aggressive than those in the US. On our two shuttle buses, they pushed three old couples out of the way on the shuttle bus, even knocking an elderly lady over. I was able to grab the doors on the third bus and hold off the crowd enough to allow the three couples to enter and be seated.

I got on the bus which was then swarmed by kids. They almost crushed each other. I was quiet but got a nice German thank-you from one of the ladies (as well as someone to visit in Augsburg). Then it happened: THE TEENS WERE AMERICANS and talking in English about how rude I was. I asked them where they were from when we left the bus. It turned out they were from Salem, Oregon. They were over on a cultural exchange tour. I'd thought they were German and they thought me to be German as well.

It made a lasting impression on me. I was already developing a first impression and prejudice about German teens...How wrong we can be. I learned the importance of being polite, courteous and NOT introducing yourself as an American.

It has been a long time since I have been so humbled.

P.S. If you love cars, go to Volkswagen's Autostadt in Wolfsburg, Germany (www.autostadt.de)--the best I have seen in the world. Don't miss the museum. A wonderful car lover's paradise. Takes a full day.
Lynx   Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:43 pm GMT
Guest said:
<So, in London, what a shock it was when a group of Americans in front of us in a queue were trying to pay for their lunch and kidding (loudly) about the British coins, pounds and pence and so on, and yelling that they "still don't understand all their complicated money" but added that "inventing dollars and cents" was the best thing "we" ever did for "them." It'd be different if it was funny, but everyone around just looked disgusted.>

I think they were wrong to say that.. I thought the dollars were invented by the Spanish not the British. Am I right?
Guest   Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:47 pm GMT
You gotta cringe when you hear Americans (or anyone) using Spanish in Italy because it's "close enough." I still laugh about this frustrated young woman trying to buy a train ticket.

Voglio ain't yo quiero!!!!
Guest   Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:51 pm GMT
Actually, my experience is with the beautiful French (BF, I guess). I was in a patisserie in Lyon, trying to order some pain au chocolat in my broken french. When I used the informal "tu" form instead of the more appropriate "vous," I caught myself and apologized.

The clerk countered by saying with a warm smile, "ce n'est pas grave," more or less "it's not important." She immediately put me at ease and made me more comfortable about using my pathetic French. A few days later in Paris, I was enjoying a meal with my wife when the mussels were brought out. Faced with a wide array of utensils, I was confused about which to use.

The waiter must have sensed this and very discreetly came up behind me and pointed out the appropriate fork to use. The French are such wonderful hosts.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:02 pm GMT
**Don't assume that you will be able to use dollars everywhere in Europe**

Tell me about it! When I worked on the supermarket checkout while I was at uni we had lots of foreigners come through as it was a very big store not far from the city centre. The Americans were always the most troublesome and it's true that a lot of them feel they are able to use US dollars in the UK and that we, in the UK, should accept them! We had a till where people could pay with Euro as well as Sterling, but that's all.

Several times I saw (and heard...you always hear!)) them go ballistic because we would not accept their currency...it was just as if we'd burned the star spangled banner in front of them! "But everyone wants US dollars!" one woman yelled so all the store could hear. "Well, madam - we don't!" one man snapped back at her and he was a customer.

I've seen them try to pay in US dollars in other shops and restaurants here as well. I think they should all go on "Other Countries Awareness Courses" before they're allowed to leave their own.

**yelling that they "still don't understand all their complicated money"**

As for finding UK money "complicated".......what bollocks! The pound consists of 100 pence. The US dollar consists of 100 cents. What's the bloody difference? UK currency: £ is the sign for the Pound Sterling, official currency of the UK. Consists of: £50 note £20 note £10 note £5 note 50 pence coin 20 pence coin 10 pence coin 5 pence coint 2 pence coin 1 penny coin.

I guess those kids find anythig outside of Hicksville, Missouri or wherever "complicated"..........

We really, really, really try to like the Americans when they visit us here but they make it so f*****g difficult a lot of the time.