Turkish is easy?

Guest   Thu May 15, 2008 10:51 am GMT
Ok, so apparently researchers have found Turkish to be the easiest language. Are there any Turks here to comment? Has anyone learnt Turkish? Is it just the language of Turkish or Turkic languages in General?
Guest   Thu May 15, 2008 11:04 am GMT
Which researchers are these?
Guest   Thu May 15, 2008 12:09 pm GMT
I've studied Turkish some years ago and I found it very easy. You can learn the grammar in just a month then all you have to do is to learn words. You don't have to worry about genders, irregularities and declensions (there are 6 cases but all nouns are inflected in the same way - learn 6 suffixes and that's it!). The pronunciation is also very simple. I don't know if Turkish is the easiest language but for me was easier than English.
guest2   Thu May 15, 2008 2:26 pm GMT
Turkish is very easy when you start learning it. The words -- at least the ''pure turkish'' -- ones are very easy and pronounciation is easy to, at least for a German native speaker. (For English native speakers, the latter may not hold.) Yes, you need'nt worry about genders, there are very little irregularitys, but just learning 6 suffixes for noun declension isn't enough. You need to consider vowel harmony and consonant assimilations and some other stuff concerning laon words form arabic and farsi, so every suffix comes in at least two forms for DATIV -e, -a, four forms for ABLATIV -den, -dan, -ten, tan, and four forms for AKK. -i, -ΓΌ, -u, and -(i without dot) as exemples.
Guest   Sun May 18, 2008 2:43 am GMT
Hungarian is not easy and is related to Turkish
guest2   Sun May 18, 2008 2:52 pm GMT
@ Guest Thu May 15, 2008 12:09 pm GMT

Can you tell us your mother tounge?
Skippy   Sun May 18, 2008 4:01 pm GMT
<<Hungarian is not easy and is related to Turkish>>

Actually, Hungarian is generally accepted NOT to be related to Turkish. There is a proposed Ural-Altaic Language superfamily which includes the Uralic (Hungarian, Estonian, Finnish, etc.) with Altaic (which itself is a proposed language superfamily including Turkish and Korean) but most researchers consider Ural-Altaic to be a dubious relationship.

I am one of those crazy people that thinks that there is a proto-World language, but the current linguistic paradigm does not accept that proposal, so the tendency of us amateur linguists trying to find connections between languages like Turkish and Hungarian based on the fact that they're agglutinative holds little weight.

I think Hungarian is related to Turkish, like Guest, but at the time it is not generally accepted but is, on the contrary, generally accepted to be false.

Back on topic, Turkish appears to be a fairly logical language at first glance, but it seems difficult when spoken. I know very little about it, however.
Guest   Sun May 18, 2008 6:01 pm GMT
>>Hungarian is not easy and is related to Turkish<<

Latin is not easy and is related to Spanish. But Hungarian and Turkish aren't related. Grammar is very different, also the basic words like numbers and pronouns.
Guest   Sun May 18, 2008 6:43 pm GMT
"proto-World language"

I agree.
https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/index.html

If there was a single group of African ancestors about 60,000 years ago, then there was also a single language.
Warnow   Mon May 19, 2008 12:22 am GMT
Hi!

Turkish is not the easiest language, but the most regular one among the world's major languages.

Many agree that Indonesian/Malaysian is the easiest language.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 1:38 am GMT
<<Many agree that Indonesian/Malaysian is the easiest language. >>

I thought this idea was debunked several months ago in a thread here at Antimoon. Someone started pointing out some of the fiendishly difficult aspects of Indonesian (I don't recall what they were, however).
Warnow   Mon May 19, 2008 10:38 am GMT
Of course Indonesian/Malaysian has its difficulties, but all in all, relative to other major languages of the world, it is the easiest one.