Spirit of Unity in Europe ?

Antonio   Sun May 18, 2008 3:03 am GMT
Is there a spirit of Unity in Europe, you call it European Union ! and what language you use the most in Europe?
Berlusconi   Sun May 18, 2008 3:27 am GMT
There is to a large extent, though not as much as the EU parliament or Angela Merkel would have you believe.
Guest   Sun May 18, 2008 10:35 am GMT
I can see a spirit of EU identity, but not much of unity; au contraire. Perhaps we'd like to have more unity in international relations, specially with the US, though.
Guest   Sun May 18, 2008 2:01 pm GMT
There is no spirit of Unity in Europe: go to France or Italy and people will refuse to answer you in English, although most of them can speak it fluently (when they find it useful). There is no unity in Europe: when a Polish men goes to France or UK they view him as if he were an alien, the same thing would not happen to a Chicagoan going to Denver, Austin or San Diego.
Skippy   Sun May 18, 2008 4:07 pm GMT
In the US, however, someone from Long Island may not be welcome in Biloxi, MS or Sparks, GA :-)

Could the lack of unity in Europe be explained as simple and friendly rivalry like between the UK and France or Germany and France?
Guest   Sun May 18, 2008 4:33 pm GMT
It can be explained as too many different languages spoken in EU. A sentiment of unity can't flourish when 22 official languages are spoken. There should be one or two at least (English and Spanish for example).
Guest   Sun May 18, 2008 6:30 pm GMT
Perhaps Europe will finally be unified when the Grand European Caliphate is formed? The official language would be Arabic.
Ouest   Sun May 18, 2008 6:38 pm GMT
There must be a strong driving force towards European unity since the political elites work closely together. Compare it to the cooperation of the Asian or African and even Ameican (North and South) countries and you will realize the difference. The link may be the common (Roman/Germanic/Slav/christian) history and social structures of the populations in Europe - it is the Europe of Charlemagne.
Guest   Sun May 18, 2008 6:38 pm GMT
EU is a very recent phenomenon. Give us a decade or two.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 1:50 am GMT
<<EU is a very recent phenomenon. Give us a decade or two. >>

Hopefully, they'll be able to resurrect the EU constitution, form a strong central government, make the Euro mandatory, require all countries to drive on the right, and make French, German, or Russian the mandatory official language (make sure Russia joins the EU, of course). I suppose one way to break down national idenity would be to abolish the current nations, and break the EU into perhaps 50 administrative units (states?) with approximately the same population each.
Berlusconi   Mon May 19, 2008 3:05 am GMT
I don't understand the need to 'break down national identity'... Why? Isn't economic cooperation enough? What are they getting out of cultural integration? It's nonsense to me. Our cultures are close enough together that we can coexist happily quite easily without the need to be s__cking eachother's c__ks, which is what it seems to me.

Good Dusk.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 7:09 am GMT
>>>>>>>>>I don't understand the need to 'break down national identity'... Why? Isn't economic cooperation enough? What are they getting out of cultural integration? It's nonsense to me. <<<<<<<<<<

Economy was one main reason to establish superstates like France, Italy or Germany to the detriment of regional identities
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 7:19 am GMT
Hopefully the EU will end up working somewhat like Spain (minus the ETA turd munchers). That way there will be tight economic cooperation but regional cultures will be respected. The result will be prosperity. Spain is the perfect example of how a multicultural integrated society ought to function.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 7:56 am GMT
Spain was created thanks to the national dominance of Castilian Spanish, if Europe lacks a lingua franca it's very difficult to achieve that level of integration. Despite regional identities exist in Spain, Spanish is still the mother tongue of most of people in these 'special' regions like Catalonia or Basque County.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 8:34 am GMT
European union is very different in nature with the USA. The EU is an economic and political association of nations, with their specific history, language, custums, and culture. The goal of the EU is not creating one unified culture and one unique European people.
In the USA, there are various states, but they don't have much different caracteristics, use many the same language and practive about the same culture(s). they can't be considered as different nations.