hey man

Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 7:50 am GMT
is "hey man" suppost be maleish?
like.. if a man says it to another man, is the man seen as masculine?
in fact i see most men who say this are usually masculine and hunky..
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 8:41 am GMT
Among younger people in casual speech it is pretty used regardless of how masculine one is. It's not all that rare to hear girls using it.
Skippy   Mon May 19, 2008 3:31 pm GMT
Guest got it. This is a typical greeting between younger males (maybe 35 and under) and is sometimes even used between women.
Pub Lunch   Wed May 21, 2008 1:34 pm GMT
<<It's not all that rare to hear girls using it. >>
<<sometimes even used between women. >>

You lads are joking?? Surely?? If not then OHHHH NNOOOOO!!!!!!! To these ears that get's a serious thumbs down, I mean, that's even worse than hearing my fellow English girls use the word "mate" - which is bad enough. And even more cringeworthy than hearing them refer to each other as 'guys' (what's that all about??).

Thankfully this hasn't made it's way to these shores yet. But you know it will.

Pantsarooney indeed.
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 1:56 pm GMT
<<is "hey man" suppost be maleish?
like.. if a man says it to another man, is the man seen as masculine?
in fact i see most men who say this are usually masculine and hunky.. >>

interesting process.
I don't think "hey man" or any phrase for that matter is necessarily seen as being "masculine"; and using it will not necessarily make one perceived as such. You have the cart before the horse here so to speak.

I think that those who use it are using it naturally, that is, it is a natural outflow of their being, which happens to be masculine. They are male in essence and spirit, and therefore "hey man" issues forth consequentially. easy.

From your wording above, you seem to imply a kind of contrivance to the whole deal, as if guys who say it are *trying* to be what they already are. :\
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 2:41 pm GMT
In ex-Yu languages "hey man" or "man" translates not as a male but as a human regardless of sex.
Rene   Wed May 21, 2008 8:24 pm GMT
Don't bash it Pub Lunch, I've said it probably a dozen times in the last year. It doesn't make me a manly if you're worried that such language will rob women of their femininity or something like that.

Girls over here even occasionally call each other dude, or dudette when they're joking around.
Bill from Warwick   Wed May 21, 2008 11:45 pm GMT
"Hey Man" had a sort of hippy (yé-yé) connotation to it until about the 90s. It comes from the vernacular of black Americans and was used exclusively by them until the 60s. At that time it was appropriated by white university students and became extremely fashionable- until the bottom of hippiedom fell out in the mid-70s and it became ultra UN-cool. It came back over here with the whole retro movement starting in '89 with flares (pas d'éléphant) and platform shoes.

And yes, TONS of American girls call each other "dude" in casual conversation- especially when they're drunk or camées

Guest   Fri May 23, 2008 11:55 am GMT
Rene - sorry young lady but that just doesn't work for me!!! And you use "Dude" as well?? Oh no Rene, that's it, you've ruined the dream!!!

Of course, it doesn't make you manly but those words are Blokes words -for whatever reason hearing a women using them just doesn't sound right. Put simply, there are words for men & then there are words for women.

I suppose you could say that words are just words and men & women can use them as they please but, I mean, as a geezer I wouldn't say to my girlfriend that her new haircut looks "pretty" like my sister did, it just wouldn't be cricket.

Here in England our equivalent would be girls using words such as "mate" or "bruv" - which I have heard. It just isn't right.
Guest   Fri May 23, 2008 12:02 pm GMT
THere's nothing wrong with it. What's wrong is people like you.
Lo   Fri May 23, 2008 9:52 pm GMT
>>Put simply, there are words for men & then there are words for women.<<

That's some chauvinistic set of mind you've got! Says who there are words for men and words for women? If a girl feels like saying mate or bruv or dude there's nothing wrong with it. I'm a guy and I would say to someone their haircut looks pretty and I don't feel less of a guy, neither do I think a girl feels less of a girl if she says dude.
I've seen racist and homophobic people around this forum, but I never thought I'd see male chauvinistic too, seriously, that's just too last century dude.
K. T.   Sat May 24, 2008 3:06 am GMT
"younger males (maybe 35 and under)"

Skippy, I have heard men (probably in their fifties) use this in a casual way
too. I think girls (younger) use this too.
gregorio   Sat May 24, 2008 3:27 am GMT
A pesar de que las mujeres con frecuencia usan la palabra 'man', creo que la palabra española 'hombre' se usa aún más por las mujeres.
Skippy   Sat May 24, 2008 4:39 pm GMT
The use of 'man' is often attributed to AAVE I'm not sure of the validity of the claim.
Skippy   Sat May 24, 2008 9:46 pm GMT
The "chain email" version of "hey man" (I doubt this is actually in a chain email, I'm using the term here to illustrate a commonly held believe that may or may not be valid... though in my experience they are typically false...) is that, as a derogatory term in the US, African-American men of all ages were often called "boy" and so they referred to each other as "man."