"You don't need" vs. "You needn't"

Warnow   Wed May 21, 2008 1:26 am GMT
Thanks a lot guys!
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 2:51 am GMT
A modern equivalent to 'you needn't' is 'there's no need'.

We needn't talk about this. There's no need to talk about this.

You need not repeat it, just reheat it. There's no need to repeat it, just reheat it.
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 4:32 pm GMT
"Shall I" is VERY VERY VERY formal...you would rarely ever hear that in a conversation; it is nearly becoming archaic. Personally, I would say "Should I''
Warnow   Wed May 21, 2008 4:34 pm GMT
<< "Shall I" is VERY VERY VERY formal...you would rarely ever hear that in a conversation; it is nearly becoming archaic. Personally, I would say "Should I'' >>

I shall keep that in mind.
Hehe, kiddin'.

Thanks, guest!
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 9:44 pm GMT
<<"Shall I" is VERY VERY VERY formal...you would rarely ever hear that in a conversation; it is nearly becoming archaic. Personally, I would say "Should I''>>

Not really. I've noticed lots of young people use it informally. It ends up sounding like "shulli"

"Shulli do it?"
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 10:53 pm GMT
It depends on a country. Of course, they use SHALL in India.
1950 English usage is still alive there.
Bill from Warwick   Wed May 21, 2008 11:22 pm GMT
It's true- the form "shall" sounds very formal in American English nowadays. But I must add that it also sounds very beautiful to us- sort of a throwback to a more refined and genteel time. Foreigners speaking English are lucky in the sense that they can get away with using outdated or antiquated words and expressions without appearing ridiculous. To us (or at least to those sensitive to the beauties of the English language) this would sound charming and even sophisticated, as "shall" is really the correct form to use (according to the grammar books). Never be afraid to speak English correctly!!!!
Mika   Thu May 22, 2008 1:27 am GMT
Dear Bill from Warwick, doest thou speak in such a charming and sophisticated way in thy day to day life? ;-)
Guest   Thu May 22, 2008 2:12 am GMT
Shall is commonly used American English when asking a question.

Example:
"Shall I cook dinner or do you want to eat out?"
Bill from Warwick   Thu May 22, 2008 2:25 am GMT
Mika raises a valid question! The way we write DOES differ from the way we speak!!! NO I don't speak so carefully in everyday conversation! But that shouldn't stop us from from trying! OMG do I sound that bad Mika?

And Guest- NOBODY says shall in America and I will bet money on it!
Colorado Joe   Thu May 22, 2008 3:23 am GMT
"NOBODY says shall in America and I will bet money on it!"

Don't waste your money, Billy,
I use it in the same sense as guest described, and I am an American as well. I do technical support and have often caught myself saying things like "Shall I deactivate the customer's software now or do we want to wait for the to call?"

It IS used in the US and it not always considered very very very formal, but rather just polite.
Guest   Thu May 22, 2008 3:30 am GMT
Shall I deactivate the customer's software now or shall we want to wait for the to call?
Guest   Fri May 23, 2008 4:33 pm GMT
Shall I?
I shan't!

Shan't I call her for a drink?

LOL
Lo   Fri May 23, 2008 10:05 pm GMT
Well, despite what everyone else said, I use needn't, although I have to agree it's not at all commonly heard here in the States.

You needn't and you don't need have different meanings, you needn't is used when you've already done something as in "you needn't come" which means, you came, but you didn't have to.
"You don't need to come" doesn't necessarily imply that you came, whereas "you needn't come" does imply you did.

In America, "you shouldn't have" is more common than "needn't."
Guest   Fri May 23, 2008 10:39 pm GMT
Shouldn't it be 'you needn't have come' then?