Common words used in posh RP (Standard British)

KC   Wed May 21, 2008 5:33 am GMT
I really love the RP accent. Just to prove I am not snobbish, I love the broad Scottish accents even more :). Anyway, I was wondering what some "proper" RP words would be? In the vein of "indeed", "awfully", "frightfully", "jolly good", etc. What I am looking for is words which are mostly confined to usage within RP, and not very used in other "common" accents in UK.
Skippy   Wed May 21, 2008 5:39 am GMT
Poppycock...?
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 2:48 pm GMT
Blighme
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 2:50 pm GMT
Blighme

????
Ed   Wed May 21, 2008 2:54 pm GMT
http://youtube.com/watch?v=a_wpNXWnKcU

Check this out for stereotypes of British word usage.
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 2:57 pm GMT
>>> Blighme

???? <<<

It googles...
Skippy   Wed May 21, 2008 3:12 pm GMT
<<http://youtube.com/watch?v=a_wpNXWnKcU>>

lol i laughed out loud through the entirety of that sketch. this really is how many americans view the stereotypical english person. Or if you watch the young ones, the episode where they're on the game show with ben elton, hugh laurie, stephen fry, and emma thompson... the way those four speak is the american view of stereotypical english folks.
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 6:25 pm GMT
Gay for joyous?
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed May 21, 2008 7:21 pm GMT
What a send up of the BBC! - American version, naturally - and the wholesale errors in all those "reports" reflect it. The most obvious was the one was when "gorgeous" Diane Prissy said she was "pissed up" - did she mean "pissed off"? Maybe not - she really did look a wee bit blootered anyway.

Allegedly she was reporting from some strange place called "Shipton (?)County? Nope - it's not on any map of the UK at all, but if it's of any interest to anyone outside of this country the backdrop to her "report" was the picturesque, very steep, very cobbled street in Shaftesbury, and that's in Dorset county. Anyway, no Brit adds the word "county" to a county name, so nobody would say "Shipton County", even if such a place existed. The only except to the county names is County Durham, in Geordieland, and even there the word County precedes the name, it doesn't follow it.

BBC reporters never stand on Westminster Bridge either, even though the backdrop of the Place of Westminster from the middle of the bridge is pretty cool - they much, much prefer to strut their stuff from over the other side of the Houses of Parliament - standing on the greensward close to the Jewel Tower, facing the entrance to the Palace of Westminster. As I say, research needs a boost.

Blimey! - that's how it's spelled for anyone who's interested. No A-Z of London will show up a Hornchester Square either! :-) There is a Hornchurch right at the far end of the tube District Line (that's the green one, btw) but I don't think they were referring to that.

I reckon these piss taking Yankee Doodle Dandies had better smarten up their research before they attempt to lampoon the Limey Dandies of the renowned, much respected loonybin known as the British Broadcasting Corporation! :-)

The assumed accents were - well, weird but funny. It was a pisstake after all. And Brits are used to it anyway - it's character building!
Damian   Wed May 21, 2008 7:22 pm GMT
Para 2 penultimate line: except - exception.
Liz   Wed May 21, 2008 7:56 pm GMT
<<The assumed accents were - well, weird but funny.>>

The funny thing is that they still do sound American...suffering from constipation. :-)
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 10:52 pm GMT
UK is way boring.
Chris   Fri May 23, 2008 5:49 pm GMT
Spot on, old bean!
Guest   Fri May 23, 2008 8:25 pm GMT
Egad
I say/ I do say
Hear Hear
my good fellow
rather
cheers
cheerio
lad
spot of (i.e. piece of, some)
jolly old
whippersnapper
Wally Bumbag Jnr   Fri May 23, 2008 8:27 pm GMT
You utter rotters. Be orf with you I say.