Are languages really worth preserving?

Guest   Sun May 25, 2008 7:58 pm GMT
<<Ladino sounds basically like Spanish to me.>>

Thats because it basically IS spanish, despite how some foolish people would like it to be classified.
K. T.   Sun May 25, 2008 7:59 pm GMT
Terribly addicting, guest. I listen to her and the tune sticks in my mind.
K. T.   Sun May 25, 2008 8:07 pm GMT
I got into some hot water here a few months ago because some "languages" sound like dialects to me. There is a site called
"Cucumis" (Latin for Cucumber, I think) where one can sign up as knowing a language with only 75% understanding. Whoo-Hoo! That means I know a whopping ten languages or so, lol, but it's only because I know enough romance languages to figure out many that I haven't studied.

Cucumis. org is the site name, I think. Check it out! Are you also an amazing polyglot?
Guest   Sun May 25, 2008 8:09 pm GMT
If you like this beautiful girl , i recommend you this: La Alegria - Happiness :http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=n566ndJ5qO4
for me it's on of her best songs.
Naci En Alamo is also good.
Guest   Sun May 25, 2008 8:32 pm GMT
<<<When Alsatians stop speaking the language of their fathers it is a sad loss for the German culture but a big enrichment of the French culture. For the Alsatians themselves, it is surely a loss not to be able to understand their own literature, on the other hand they win the possibility to make successful business and carreers in France.... >>>

That´s very true, but business is not all in life.
Guest   Sun May 25, 2008 8:35 pm GMT
<<"Cucumis" (Latin for Cucumber, I think) where one can sign up as knowing a language with only 75% understanding. Whoo-Hoo! That means I know a whopping ten languages or so, lol,>>

...more like 20 + ''Languages".
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 3:28 am GMT
Ladino is easier to understand for a Spaniard than some other dialects of Spanish like Cuban or Argentine Spanish.
J.C.   Mon May 26, 2008 3:37 am GMT
"another language dying: spanish-jewish language"
Isn't this just Spanish? I didn't have to make any effort to understand it...It's easier to understand than Mexican Spanish!! :) hijole!!!
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 3:45 am GMT
So which are the canonical Romance languages which ought to be preserved? Which are the dialects that ought to be written off?

My guess:

Canonical:

Spanish
French
Italian
Romanian
Portuguese
Catalan

Write offs:

Galician
Valencian
Corsican
Sardinian/Sicilian/Italian dialects ???????
Moldovan
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 5:16 am GMT
Catalan can be dumped too. Its speakers can choose between Spanish or French, since Catalan is just a crude combination of those two.
William Wallace   Mon May 26, 2008 12:52 pm GMT
Read this, Berlusconi, and learn something:

http://www.sil.org/sociolx/ndg-lg-grimes_article.html
Mika   Mon May 26, 2008 1:02 pm GMT
If the Romanians, non-Latin speaking Italians, French, Walloons, Latin-Swiss, Spaniards, and Portuguese hadn't abandoned their languages for Latin, we wouldn't have the Romance languages as we have them today.
That's just the way history goes.
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 3:55 pm GMT
"If the Romanians, non-Latin speaking Italians, French, Walloons, Latin-Swiss, Spaniards, and Portuguese hadn't abandoned their languages for Latin, we wouldn't have the Romance languages as we have them today.
That's just the way history goes. "

That is true, and it also shows how poor Europe has become by these losses. How interesting and rich it would be if Iberian was still the language of the Spaniards and if the French would have preserved Celtic.

Nowaday we all speak more or less the same.
Skippy   Mon May 26, 2008 4:49 pm GMT
Even Etruscan, which is considered by most linguistics to be a language isolate... They may have ended up in Sicily or Tunisia or something...

If the Romance, Slavic, and Germanic languages hadn't spread like they have there would be many more Uralic speakers, Celtic speakers, as well as Isolate speakers (like Basque). Furthermore Northern Africa would still be mostly full of Berber and Egyptian (not Egyptian Arabic) speakers and the Carthaginians in Tunisia.
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 5:14 pm GMT
<<That's just the way history goes. >>
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=c4RO9QiwvTM&feature=related

- i don't have a place
i don't have a countryside
even less a motherland
with my fingers i make the fire
with my heart i sing to you
And my heartstrings throb
i was born in Alamo

hiçlik ülkesinden geliyorum
ne yerim var